What is the neatest way to sidechiain ONLY the low end?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm making something that's kind of like Big Room House. It includes this huge-sounding bass pluck that has a really nice buzz at the top end, but that sound is demolished whenever the sidechain hits, which is at the same time as most of the pluck notes. My solution is to sidechain the low end only, so it keeps the sound away from my kick while still allowing those higher frequencies to be awesome.

The issue is, I'm not sure how to do this with LMMS neatly. Here are the things I've tried:

- I tried sidechaining EQ, but that doesn't remove all lower frequencies, only most of them.

- I tried separating each pluck track (I have three layered together) into two, lowpassing one and highpassing the other, and only sidechaining the lower one. Filters don't cut out all frequencies right at their cutoff frequency though, so there ends up being mud right where I separate them.

- I tried sidechaining the Wet/Dry on a highpass filter, because I was stupid. It didn't work for obvious reasons.

Is there a nice and neat solution for this?
Maybe the multi-band compressor? (I never used it ... and I don't know how to use it ...)
Douglas wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 pm
but that sound is demolished whenever the sidechain hits, which is at the same time as most of the pluck notes.
From that i understand it as if you are sidechaining master? -right
I would never sidechain master
Sidechain is meant to create a kind of pump-bass out of longer notes, so you sidecahin on those, and not on f.i. pluck
D.Ipsum wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:17 am
Maybe the multi-band compressor? (I never used it ... and I don't know how to use it ...)
I've messed around with it a bit, it seems to give a very weird effect to your sound.... :/
musikbear wrote:
Douglas wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:35 pm
but that sound is demolished whenever the sidechain hits, which is at the same time as most of the pluck notes.
From that i understand it as if you are sidechaining master? -right
I would never sidechain master
Sidechain is meant to create a kind of pump-bass out of longer notes, so you sidecahin on those, and not on f.i. pluck
No, I am not sidechaining the master channel, I'm doing each instrument individually. You see, this pluck isn't just a pluck, but it starts as a nice, gritty pluck, and then rolls off into a type of string. Either way, the pluck part interferes with the low end, but the gritty part I want to keep is the buzz at the high end (I checked) right when the pluck hits. For just the pluck, I only want to sidechain everything below, say, 1000 Hz? That'll remove any possible interference while still keeping that high-end awesomeness untouched.
Douglas wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm
For just the pluck, I only want to sidechain everything below, say, 1000 Hz? That'll remove any possible interference while still keeping that high-end awesomeness untouched.
Oooo now thats advanced.. One output, separated into a sc low-end, and rest not sc....
Challenging :)
musikbear wrote:
Douglas wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 pm
For just the pluck, I only want to sidechain everything below, say, 1000 Hz? That'll remove any possible interference while still keeping that high-end awesomeness untouched.
Oooo now thats advanced.. One output, separated into a sc low-end, and rest not sc....
Challenging :)
I found a solution that kind of works a bit... it's kind of sloppy, but it works. You can clone the track you want to do this with, and highpass one and lowpass the other at the same frequency point. This would cause the sound to be messed up right around that cutoff frequency, but I solved it by using some EQ, so I guess it sounds fine now.... :/
Douglas wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm
I found a solution that kind of works a bit... it's kind of sloppy, but it works. You can clone the track you want to do this with, and highpass one and lowpass the other at the same frequency point. This would cause the sound to be messed up right around that cutoff frequency, but I solved it by using some EQ, so I guess it sounds fine now.... :/
Just automate a highpass filter plugin using a peak controller.
Stakeout Punch wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:41 am
Douglas wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:28 pm
Just automate a highpass filter plugin using a peak controller.
I thought about that, but what part am I supposed to automate? The cutoff frequency obviously wouldn't work. The Wet/Dry knob might work, but wouldn't it...

...oh wait...

*facepalm*

I thought it wouldn't work because it would still let a lot of the sound through, but that's exactly what normal sidechaining does...

...yep, that'll probably work! Please excuse my idiocy... :lol: