How to play an audio file in the middle of a note

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Assume you have an audio file that's over 250 measures long that you need to play with your song. Since LMMS doesn't start playing the sound file until the beginning of the note, that makes it so that whenever you want to listen to the song within LMMS, you have to start it all over again.

So, for clarification, if you start playing the song partially through a note, LMMS doesn't play the note at all. So, instead of playing the song wherever you want it to be, you have to start from the beginning again. Both the AudioFileProcessor and Sample Tracks do this.

Any solutions? Can it be done within LMMS? Can you at least give me a link to a VST?

Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining things... :(
Douglas wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 pm
Sorry, I'm terrible at explaining things... :(
No its fine, only thing that bother me a bit, is the 'middle of a NOTE'
That is not possible
A note-event, is initiated as the playhead, touch the note's left edge, so not possible!
Playing at any pos inside a sample-track block, is however coming in next release
A solution:

1. Place a click sound (i.e. very short) every 4 measures (or 2 or 8 or ...), and this throughout the duration of the sample,

2. Export this click sound (solo mode),

3. Also export the sample that is too long (solo mode) (this is important because the export creates a brief silence at the beginning of the file),

4. Import these two files into Audacity,

5. In Audacity, mute the track containing the click sound,

6. Select the part of the long sample, which is between the first click and the second (zoom to the maximum to make a precise selection),

7. Export the selected part (name this first file with the number 1),

8. Repeat from point 6 (i.e select the part of your long sample, which is between the second click and the third),

9. Export the selected part (name this second file with the number 2),

10. Etc.

11. After you export your sample piece by piece, import them into LMMS (in SampleTrack or in AudioFileProcessor), and place them one after the other.

:evil: :arrow: :idea:
D.Ipsum wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:01 pm
[a lot of stuff]
While that would work, it would take absolutely forever with a 250-measure piece, and it also need to be perfectly on tempo. Even a change of a single millisecond could mess things up.

I'm surprised that Google didn't tell me about any VSTs that process audio like that...
Maybe with a slicer?

"While that would work, it would take absolutely forever with a 250-measure piece, and it also need to be perfectly on tempo. Even a change of a single millisecond could mess things up."

> That's why I mentioned the use click sound + the use of the maximum zoom in Audacity.
> The accuracy of the method is theoretically 1/44100 second (If you work with 44100Hz samples ...).
I guess the reason why there is a shortage of VSTs is that most DAWs will allow you to play segments of audio without any problem. It's one of the things that LMMS is (currently) lacking. If you want to record or manipulate recorded audio in any serious way LMMS is simply not the program for it.

Steve
Douglas wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:57 pm
Any solutions? Can it be done within LMMS?
Get lmms 1.2.0-RC3 which does this.
https://lmms.io/download/#windows