Record w/ Computer Keyboard Note Shortcuts ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi everyone.
I was on wiki reading about composing in the piano roll editor. Here is the page I was reading, you'll have to visit it to see what I'm talking about:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Co ... oll_Editor
I followed the steps in the "Real-Time Edits" section without issue. But then I tried to use the computer keyboard shortcuts from the chart in the "With Keyboard" section (a subsection of the "Writing Notes" section), but the notes won't record. The notes play when I press their shortcuts, as the song editor is playing in sync with the piano roll (which is in record mode), but they aren't recorded into the piano roll as they're played. I hope that makes sense. Tell me if I need to explain any part of this differently.

If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong, please help. Thank you.
bloopaloop wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:22 pm
Hi everyone.
Hi, Welcome to the forum bloopaloop! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

In case you like to introduce yourself to the rest of the community, this is the right place
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
I was on wiki reading about composing in the piano roll editor.
I really like that you have studied our wiki, not common :0)
Im not sure what 'short-cuts' you specifically refers to?
'Recording' or perhaps rather capturing key-press-events, is initiated from pressing either one of these in piano-roll
the 2. allows you to only record, but the 3. will let you record,and listen to the play-back, at the same time.
The corresponding shortcuts should work too..
The notes play when I press their shortcuts
you mean space?
, as the song editor is playing in sync with the piano roll (which is in record mode), but they aren't recorded into the piano roll as they're played
Maybe what you try is this from one of my tutorials
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFy8tipBbB8

Let us know if you get it working, but please tell what shortcuts, you have issues with
Thanks for your reply, musikbear. And for the warm welcome. :)

I appreciate you explaining that, but actually, the shortcuts I'm referring to play notes in the piano roll. See them here: https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Fi ... oKeys1.png

The problem is that when I am recording, it doesn't record the notes as I play them.
You need Piano Roll open for the instrument you want to record and you need to start everything running using the "Record notes...while playing song" button, 3rd from left in that Piano Roll. Not the basic Record button and not the Song Editor buttons. That works for me.

Steve
Okay, its working now.

slipstick wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 am
You need Piano Roll open for the instrument you want to record and you need to start everything running using the "Record notes...while playing song" button, 3rd from left in that Piano Roll. Not the basic Record button and not the Song Editor buttons.
This is what I was doing before, so I think the problem was my laptop. I should have tried to restart it or restart LMMS. My laptop is slow, this wouldn't be the first glitchy thing that LMMS has done because of that. But, I know what to do now if something like this happens again.

Sorry that you guys basically replied for no reason, since the problem was my laptop. :mrgreen: But thanks for trying to help.