Question : Trying all the samples offered in LMMS

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hello hello.

Well the way I use my LMMS got me into questioning.

As I am a pure noob newbie, I don't know my shit. When I start a project I never know where I will go, what gender I want, what is my target tempo, what melody I want to design.

I just open my sample list and try to choose instruments that fit well together.

It eventually came to my mind that I could make an Excel file containing a list with every single instrument offered and a description, with eventually an exemple of a track I have heard with this instrument inside... But I dropped this idea since my knowledge is too limited.

So yeah... Question here is how do you choose your instruments ?
I don't feel like creating one, I want to try them all one day. Especially on ZynAddSubFX... The basic offer is totally huge, it would take ages to use every sample in a functional track.
qantuum wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:03 pm
how do you choose your instruments ?
My philosophy is that less is more. Firstly, i have a limited collection of instruments
I never dl a vst if it does not give me something i cant get with any mean
So my standard is Synth1 zasfx & 3oc (+ specials like afp/ )
from these limits, i have a limited number of presets.
Its easy to stock a 'collection' of say 50 pads, but then you will never get to know them in depth. For me, 8 pads are 'enough', but if i then hear something tahs inspire me, i may look for or make one for a special project.
So my take on your question is
-Know a limited selection in depth, and use those.
Thanks a lot !

Actually as I would like to become good at chiptune, I will try to focus on Nescaline, LB302 and sfxr. May be a good start to try your philosophy
qantuum wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:03 pm
Question here is how do you choose your instruments ?
I do not know. I feel like I'm doing this intuitively (this concept is hollow ...), choosing the timbres that fit well according to my ear.

However, to select your instruments, you can use a tessitura criterion.
For example, this instrument (or this group of instuments) sounds well from C1 to C2, this one from C2 to C3, that one from C3 to C5, etc.

Assigning an instrument to a restricted and defined range of frequencies would, in advance, avoid future frequency conflicts.
The latest samples which i found was by Lucid Samples

https://www.lucidsamples.com/

You can test some samples from them.
Strongly recommend.