Newcleus jam on it

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
It seems its better not to use vlc for slowing down a song.

Audacity can do a much better job.
Gps wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Thank you, I have already been moving the bassline up and down, and although I could live with it, as it is now, is does not feel 100% right.

I did move all notes up, so lowest note now is a F.
No probs.

Okay, I remade the melody in the piano roll, from scratch.

The tough part, was trying to get the correct timing, for the last 5 keys of the
famous Nucleus Jam On It bass melody, in the piano roll. Dang that note timing! :P
If all fails, I might end up using your screenshot pic, as reference, to recreate the melody. :lol:

Right now, I'm busy trying to replicate a good bass sound, that sounds kinda close
to the one heard, in the original Nucleus Jam On It track.

I'll test out your version of the melody, (especially the last 5 keys of the bass melody)
to see if it's really in the same key, as the original tunes.

I'll try and post some pics of my findings, and even post a short audio clip, on soundcloud
very soon. :)
Gps wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:23 pm
Thank you, I have already been moving the bassline up and down, and although I could live with it, as it is now, is does not feel 100% right.

I did move all notes up, so lowest note now is a F.
No probs.

Okay, I remade the melody in the piano roll, from scratch.

The tough part, was trying to get the correct timing, for the last 5 keys of the
famous Nucleus Jam On It bass melody, in the piano roll. Dang that note timing! :P
If all fails, I might end up using your screenshot pic, as reference. :lol:

Right now, I'm busy trying to replicate a good bass sound, that sounds kinda close
to the one heard, in the original Nucleus Jam On It track.

I'll test out your version of the melody, (especially the last 5 keys of the bass melody)
to see if it's really in the same key, as the original tunes.

I'll try and post some pics of my findings, and even post a short audio clip, on soundcloud
very soon. :)
If I have problems like that, about the timing, I hook up my midi controller.

Then I don't care what note I hit, while listening to the original, I am only after the pattern / spaces.

So I will end up with only C's for example, in the piano roll.

If I have the spaces right, I start to worry about what key it should be.

That's how I did that newcleus bassline. Since you mentioned it though, I start to wonder. My last notes are all the same.
I have this nagging feeling that there should be atleast one note a bit higher.
It because I tried to see what this bass player does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amv1d8MYrG4

C#, E C# B AAAA B

If I have to figure it out by counting, I know I will fail, because in most music I already fail at finding the 1 count.
I can however tap along with about anything, and learned from earlier messing with lmms, that my timing is not that bad.

This might work with a computer keyboard too.

This tapping on a midi controller works for me, as long as I use just one key. Its also how I made the 808 parts.

Timing wise this track is a nightmare :P
I have only found one instrument in this track, that does not seem to be syncopated.
The synth at 18 seconds, everything else including the 808 kick and hi hats is syncopated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaNzrXAUHBk
Gps wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:44 pm
I have this nagging feeling that there should be atleast one note a bit higher.
Okay here it goes. :D
After attempting to remake the melody by scratch, and making a nice synth bass sound
in Synth 1, it turns out, the entire bass melody, is supposed to be on a lower key.

Then I remade your melody, using the screenshot you posted and listened again to your version
on soundcloud. The note timing, is nicely close to the original Jam On It bass melody.
But believe it or not, the only problem is, the entire bass melody, is on the wrong key note.

And just as we suspected, those last 5 notes, are placed on the wrong keys.
That's why those 5 notes, sound a bit lower, than it's supposed too.
Notes 5, 6, 7 and 8 are supposed to be placed, one note higher up.

I'll post full info, a few pics and make a small musical wip on soundcloud tomorrow.
So look out for it Gps and dudes. :D

This really turned out to be, an informative adventure. :D
Looking forward to it.

And I never expected something sounding so simple, would be so hard to cover.
Respect for the Newcleus.

I learned a lot but I can't really tell ( yet? ) what note is played by just listening to it.

I do how ever hear that mine bass line is something like the original, but its not a real match.
Yep. I agree. Who would believe, that the bassline was kinda tough to replicate.
After playing around, I think I have gained a bit more understanding, on these old classics.
It's difficult to explain. :P

Okay, I'll be posting the pics and putting a small audio wip, in a while.
So look out for it dudes. :)
Okay, here it goes Gps and guys.
And check out the small audio wip test, I put on soundcloud with info, for reference.
I used Synth 1 to make the bass melody. :)

https://soundcloud.com/brandy-starbrite ... melody-tut

In this pic, this is the original Gps' Jam It On bass melody, made from the screenshot
he posted. And it sounds nice. :D
In the wip I posted, it starts from 4 secs to 20 secs.

Okay. The problem we suspected, is that it was sounding wrong and it might be on the wrong key.
After testing this clue, I discovered, that the starting key, is apparently the black key after C3.
The lines marked in red, is where the first key of the bass melody, should start from.
So we have to select the entire bass melody and bring the entire melody down.
Making the first note, land on the black key after C3.

The blue arrow shows, we have to move the key downward. And the green mark
shows the correct key (black key), that the first key, of the bass melody is supposed to start on. :o

Okay Gps+guys. This is how it looks, when you move it down, to the correct note.
It starts from 44 secs to 1:00 secs.

But,.... the keys, 5, 6,7 and 8 marked in green dots, sound wrong.
So what we must do, is move these 4 keys, up to A2, which is where the pink line is.

This is where they're supposed to be. Taa daa! :)
In this pic, the pink line, shows where it was before.
The lemon green line, shows the correct place to put those 4 notes, which is A2.

And this is how, the Nucleus bass melody might look, in the piano roll.
You can hear it, from 1:05 secs to the end of the wip tut.
Play it and compare it to the original Nucleus' "Jam On It" track. :D

This test was really fun to do. And I learned alot from this musical adventure.
Gps is right. Old school music is really interesting, especially when you are trying
to figure out, or trying to replicate, a melody or bass melody, from a classic old track. :)

Sorry I took so long. Internet was giving tons of beans for days. :P
Thank you :)

I have only one small complaint :P Sound cloud link is not working ?
I dove into lmms and changed the notes to the ones you found.

This definitely sounds better, and more like the original. :)

Although I am still tempted to put all notes an octave higher, those short spaced C are definitely more like the original then what I had. One line only, but such a difference.
Hard to put in word, but I was missing something in that loop, and you brought it in.

Looking forward to the sound clip, and thank you.