Newcleus jam on it

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Its not done yet, but I made enough progress to share it with you guys.

IceCube - Gangster rap made me do it ( finished)
Dre Still Dre ( prob finished)
Something of my own , which I still have to name. ( finished)
Sugerhillgang - Rappers Delight (need one or two more sounds I think)
Newclues - Jam on it. (far from done, but getting closer.

Quiz :P
Were did gps steal, I mean got inspired by ? 3.30

Took that part from a midi file, after I had an idea to use that in a rap 'hip hop track.

Hint: Days of .....

Feedback already appreciated, although as you can hear, the jam on it part needs the most work.

Can you guys rap along? I say the hip hop the hibbit, the hibbit , to the hip hop ... start at 5.39
Gps wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm
After a fight with audacity , I tried vlc player, and with this program at least for me its easy to slowdown the song.
I think in audacity , you first need to make a selection, and then you can lower the speed.
If you want to slow a song down but keep the notes the same then Musicians Practice Edge is the best I've found (for Windows). It works in real time and for audio only it's free. http://www.musicianspracticeedge.com/free-trial/ I don't know if it works on Linux though.

Steve
I am getting closer to that jam on it synth thingy.

I have been trying for weeks now, of course not 24/7, but never give up never surrender.

I found why I am having so much trouble, and also why my first attempt had three rows of notes, and musicbear's file, that really helped getting closer only had two rows of notes.

I started to tap along on the beat, and :o , 3 to 4 notes are not on the beat.

That's why it has been confusing me so much in the piano roll.

Its something like c3c3c3, c2, c3,c2,c2 but between the the first c2, and the next c3 is something off beat too.

What musicbear showed me though, its not just about c2 vs c3, there are notes with different velocities.

Music is funny, I already have something I really like, maybe even more then the original.
I already was happy enough to use this in my cover, and I probably will, but last night when I lit up a joint, I could not resist to give it more more try.

Today I could not resist to tweak it some more, because I am getting really close.

Now I need to do those off beat notes in the piano roll too, if only for counting purpose.

I lost track every time at that off beat note, but only since yesterday understand why :)

Vlc media player slowest speed possible with an mp3.
( I still have not gotten to trying different programs for the slowing down part )

While listening to the track, look at the piano roll in lmms, and count along.
Not that I had not tried that before, but as I said, never give up never surrender. :P

On a site note, jam on it, has a shitload of syncopation. There is almost nothing just played on the beat with a regular interval. not even the 808 kick, nor the hi hats.

Its one of the hardest tracks I ever tried to cover. I was not expecting this, from something that sounds so simple.
Don't forget to put a small snippet of it, on soundcloud or other etc. :)
So we could hear, how it sounds so far. :D
I will upload something soon, ready or not, but no progress today.

Been reading musicbears reply in this tread again, and although I fully agree and understand what he says, when I am in the piano, the shit hits the fan. ( I keep wanting to add more notes, but then it wont fit )

Today tried audacity, and with vlc media player is it a lot easier to slow something down, but audacity can do more then just slowing down.
It can leave the pitch in tact. ( Use change tempo and not change speed in audacity )

What totally confuses me, is what audacity shows as the track.
Like Musicbear said the interval are all equal, but that's not what I hearing.

I also start to wonder what I am hearing, maybe its some delay and or reverb or echo, but then it still should show in audacity.

It has to be 1/32 notes, and this must be the first time, were I wish LMMS also could do 1/128.
I used 1/196 to get around this problem, but that should not be necessary.

I even had at one time lmms almost at the same speed as the slowed down version.
That did proof I am getting closer, but still no cigar.

Even at 20 bpm, its still confusing.
As Promised

https://soundcloud.com/user586365033/jam-on-it-arp01

Still work in progress.

For now the break is the interesting part.

First arp is one of the close but no cigar, second one too.

Third arpeggio is something I really like, which blends in nice and has a rhythm, but its not like the original.

I think you all can hear why this is not easy to cover at all.

Time line wise, it still needs a lot of work and I need to have a listen at some 808 parts.

I am happy I am getting closer to capturing the spirit of the song.

Edit: fixed the link.
Okay Gps, I just listened to your version.
It sounding nice so far.

But I'm curious.
Are you making a custom version, of this classic Jam On It song, in a different key?
Or with some notes changed up?

Because I noticed, some interesting things, in your version of the track.
I noticed that in your version of the classic looping bass sound melody intro, the part heard
from 0 to 17 secs,....the 5th note, 6th, 7th, 8thand 9th note
seems to be, in a different or lower key, in contrast to the original tracks, intro bass melody. :geek:

I even compared your version, to the old school original version and something about those
last 5 keys in the looping bass melody, sound a bit different from the original tracks version.

eg. Dun, dun, dun dun,............."dun dun dun, dun dun."
The darkened dun part, is the part I'm speaking about. ^

Maybe I could be wrong, and it could be that the bass synth sound you used, makes me hear it
sound different. But somehow,.....hrmmmm. :geek:

PS: Okay, I'm gonna recreate this intro bass melody and see if I can match the originals. :)

If possible Gps, can you post a piano roll screen shot of the intro bass melody
from your version?
I probably don't have the right notes. I am not trying to do it in a different key. :)
The one thing, I am pretty sure of, I picked the minor scale.

I have been looking for sheet music, but could not find it.

Should I maybe have F as the lowest note ?

Looking forward to your attempt, at this classic.
Okay. Thanks for that info Gps.
I'm working on it. :)
Thank you, I have already been moving the bassline up and down, and although I could live with it, as it is now, is does not feel 100% right.

I did move all notes up, so lowest note now is a F.