Send Track Dilemma

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
So... hypothetical scenario time!

Say you have Instrument 1 and Instrument 2. You need Instrument 1 to be sent to FX Bus 1, and then the output of that to FX Bus 2.

You also need to send Instrument 2 to FX Bus 1. BUT, you do NOT want the output of that to be sent to FX Bus 2.

Solutions? I think the answer is either very simple, or nonexistent. Any help?

If you do not understand my hypothetical scenario, tell me and I'll try to reword it.
Duplicate your FX bus 1?

Or directly add the effects of bus 1 on your instrument 2, or in it own channel ?
D.Ipsum wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:18 pm
Duplicate your FX bus 1?

Or directly add the effects of bus 1 on your instrument 2, or in it own channel ?
Well, here's the problem. Say you want to compress your kick and sub together. Placing two identical compressors on each of them is very different from putting the same compressor on both of them.

So, you definitely need both of them in the same FX bus.
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want because to me it seems obvious that once you've mixed two instruments into a single FX processor (compressor, reverb etc) you can't then unmix them again to send only one instrument post FX (i.e. part of the mixed compressed signal) to a further FX processor. Audio just doesn't work like that, once it's mixed together you can't separate it out again.

Steve
slipstick wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:05 pm
Perhaps I'm not understanding what you want because to me it seems obvious that once you've mixed two instruments into a single FX processor (compressor, reverb etc) you can't then unmix them again to send only one instrument post FX (i.e. part of the mixed compressed signal) to a further FX processor. Audio just doesn't work like that, once it's mixed together you can't separate it out again.

Steve
Hm... I actually never thought of it that way. I was thinking of routing a singular instrument through a shared FX track and to another, but I forgot that the effect of LADSPA effects and such depends on ALL instruments playing, not each one individually.

You are right, it is not possible because it would require unmixing audio. I didn't think of it that way.

Thank you! :D
Did you try to apply the effect or effect chain of bus 2 before sending your signal to bus 1?

After all, if the expected result can not be achieved, why not?