Importing XML

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
First I want to say that I installed LMMS yesterday, and after a few hours I am already loving it. It has great features. I like the user interface very much. I had no problems worth mentioning in producing a simple song. I look forward to learning more features.

My question is about the MMP file. I've worked with XML so I was curious about it. Much of it seems pretty obvious, but some parts are not, at least to me. Is there some kind of guide to your XML code, so I could format XML produced by other software and import it to LMMS?

Thanks for your great work!
Dave2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm
First I want to say that I installed LMMS yesterday, and after a few hours I am already loving it. It has great features. I like the user interface very much. I had no problems worth mentioning in producing a simple song. I look forward to learning more features.
Which version?

Dave2018 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm
My question is about the MMP file. I've worked with XML so I was curious about it. Much of it seems pretty obvious, but some parts are not, at least to me. Is there some kind of guide to your XML code, so I could format XML produced by other software and import it to LMMS?

Thanks for your great work!
Unfortunately, the few times I've touched the XML part of lmms I've pretty much messed up every single time. Mostly we see it after it's been loaded into the running application and this is, since we use Qt, in the form of a QDomDocument.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Document_Object_Model

Here is a guy using javascript on an mmp document to implement midi export. That's probably more useful to you than me ranting...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6053
Thanks for the links.

I'm using 1.1.3 on Windows 10.

I think it's excellent that there is a text file format, and maybe I will understand it in the future. But meanwhile I am already quite happy with the MIDI import, which I used successfully last night. I wish I had found out about LMMS earlier, it would have saved me some stressful days and nights!
Dave2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 am
I'm using 1.1.3 on Windows 10.
You should work from the 1.2 beta instead (currently lmms-1.2.0-rc5). More features, less bugs, more stable.
https://lmms.io/download/#windows

Dave2018 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:00 am
I think it's excellent that there is a text file format, and maybe I will understand it in the future.
Not many use the xml file directly. It's useful for trouble shooting but occasionally someone will get their hands dirty at scripting stuff.
zonkmachine wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:01 am
Not many use the xml file directly : occasionally someone will get their hands dirty at scripting stuff.
I did use the mmp (xml) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPaOva0ntzs

I think i have the mmp pretty much in grip, so Dave2018, you can ask about it, if you like -Besides that, since you are new here-
Welcome to the forum Dave2018! Here are all our important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :) You also learn how to post pictures, and how to use quotes correctly.
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480