How do I capture a 'somber' or 'sad' feeling to music?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I've not much experience with music theory as a whole, but I notice my songs so far are sounding rather upbeat and happy. I'd like to know how to nail the 'soft and somber' feeling of songs such as this or this.
An example of my own music is this.

I've heard of minor chords and such, but nothing's really 'working' for me. Any help?
Has anyone only once provided a satisfactory answer to this question?

However, a mystery remains: the egg or the hen? Is it I who think or is it a thought that crosses my mind? Do I put feelings in music or am I overwhelmed with feelings by the music that arises from the random encounter between my fingers and the keys of the keyboard? Does my sadness of the moment tend to transform this encounter into a music sadly sad? Should I be sad to make sad music? Does music theory allow it to simulate on command? I don't know.

But the recording function of LMMS with small quantization in the Piano-Roll makes it possible to capture what comes imperfectly. It is up to you whether to accept what is coming, and possibly to develop it, to improve it.

So, continue, the study, the practice, day after day, again and without end. Make it possible, "Just do it".

:|

Word of an ignorant

:lol:
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:14 pm
I'd like to know how to nail the 'soft and somber' feeling of songs
I've heard of minor chords and such, but nothing's really 'working' for me. Any help?
The lower octaves and keys, of a cello sound, have a sad, depressing sound
and feel to them. Check out the keys, from C2 all the way to C3 etc. :D
Low, slow and melody in a minor key does it for most people. If you don't know what a minor key is perhaps it's time to learn. E.g. if you like playing the white notes on a keyboard try starting on A instead of C and returning often to A. Play lots of Am (A minor) chords - A, C, E. You've discovered the key of A minor.

But really you have to experiment to find what sounds good to you. Theory can only take you so far.

Steve
SkyEyeMCCIX wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:14 pm
I've not much experience with music theory as a whole, but I notice my songs so far are sounding rather upbeat and happy. I'd like to know how to nail the 'soft and somber' feeling of songs such as this or this.
An example of my own music is this.

Oh, I forgot to mention:
Violin sounds have been known, to have a depressing tone, for some people.
Maybe you could use that, or a synthesized violin sound, for some of your sadder music tracks.
Not all minor songs have a sad feeling, in fact I have a song in D Major that sounds sad. I have heard music in my childhood (on which are classical) that are in minor Keys but does not sound sad. Search for Vltava Die Moldau by Bedrich Smetana (the one in 1800's). Trance songs (except uplifting trance) are usually in minor key -- but it doesn't sound sad. Why?

There is a magic you can do in chord progression and in feeling, to make it sad.

I made Classical music and sad Ambient music since before I make EDM, I do some shit to make it sad:

1.) minor Keys (not just minor chords) <- important. and in its triads/chord progressions avoid using Major chords frequently or you will end up like Die Moldau :P Your example song, Polaris by deadmau5, is in A minor key.
2.) Also avoid using fifths after hometones if it's a sad song in Major key. For example, in the C Major scales triads:
C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim. The hometone (in chord progression equivalent) is C, the fifth is G. This is how to create a happy song -- use fifths frequently.
3.) Slow tempo, 100 and below, but usually Andante, Adagietto, Adagio, and this Largo -- which was used in cello/double bass part in my song Downfall of the Kingdom (but removed when it was made into dubstep)
4.) long notes or Very long notes, with long rests, or slow chords, https://youtu.be/LnnyQcRbwEI?t=1m28s <- here the chords aren't continuous
5.) Slow arpeggio/broken chords (example, a harp playing a B minor broken chord, B-C#-F#-C# B-C#-F#-C# B-C#-F#-C#... at 60 BPM, in my song's intro mentioned above.)
5.) Theme and feeling <- also very important! Example, the usage of sine waves, pad synths, reverbs on a song's sound design.

It is not required that all of them are in one song. If it's a sad EDM song, just make a bunch of sad chord progressions in a minor key. If it's a House song, just make a simple house loop in beat/bassline editor, set the key of your song in a minor key and set the tempo to 128. (It's not required that all sad songs are slower than 100) Avoid using heavy bass on drums, as people will mistake that it's a happy dance song (except melodic and orchestral dubstep, where heavy drops are required). A clear, light kick and snare will do. Carefully observe Polaris, good thing you mentioned it.

This is a website where I usually find the key where I do not know its sharps/flats and naturals, but also provides the triads of each damn key both Major and minor: https://autochords.com/

Hope it helps to those who are making music :)
The easiest way to understand how some songs sound "somber" is to break them down. What chord progressions do they use? What key are they in?

Take "Sound of Silence" by Simon & Garfuknel for example.

The chord progression for the first verse are Am-G-Am-F-C

This is by no means a "sad" progression. I can't tell you the number of songs that use these four chords (C-Am-F-G)

What makes this song "sad" is that it revolves around the minor chord (Am). The song starts with Am and it's repeated again after G.

In contrast, "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz has the same chords, but it revolves around the decidedly happier "G" chord.

That's the simplest way to go about it: start off with the minor chord and keep going back to it to create a more somber mood