layering a track ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
My producer from Australia ;) helped to find me this:

(it's about that typical piano sound in trance and hardcore)
http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58794

Not sure if this is the same Kraze as Kraze - The Party, but I sure want to try this in lmms.
Any piano sound + one octave below + one octave higher + huge reverb at 10% + short delay at 10% + long delay at 20%.

Layer a copy of the track, high-passed at 1.5khz, compress it heavily and there you go.
Questions:
What does layer a copy of the track mean, and can I do this in lmms?

Is it as simple (in lmms) as clone a track and then in the fx mixer layer them ?

Next question about that short and long delay, just add a delay plugin twice and change the settings ?

Last question, compress it ? (I think I get the high pass part, add a high pass filter)
Questions:
What does layer a copy of the track mean, and can I do this in lmms?
yes you can.
Is it as simple (in lmms) as clone a track and then in the fx mixer layer them ?
It varies on what you want to do with the sound.

I'm not an expert in layering, but I'll try my best to explain, based on what I know. Since I have been experimenting with this layering thing.

If I remember correctly, there are many, many different ways of doing this.

One example is:
Say for eg. you have a pluck called Gps synth pluck sound 1, with notes in the piano roll. With 100% volume.

Then you make a copy of that Gps synth pluck sound, with the same melody notes, or make those notes longer in the piano roll etc.
But you alter the pitch, or att, or decay settings etc. of the Gps clone copy. And you lower the volume of it.
eg. 30% volume.
And if you want, you can put the cloned copy, 1 octave higher or 1 octave lower.
Or leave it on the same note line of the piano roll, as the 1st Gps synth pluck sound.

Then play both at the same time and it'll sound nice and fatter or more wholesome sounding.
Do it right and it'll sound really good.

Note: Most of the time when layering, it is always good to lower the volume, of your altered clone copy synth/melody etc.
Since both layered instruments, will be played at the exact same time or almost the exact same time, you don't want two high volume synths, clashing with each other.
Otherwise you'll have to take off your headphones, or lower your speakers.
Not sure if this is the same Kraze as Kraze - The Party, but I sure want to try this in lmms.
I'm wondering that too. :)
Or, it could be someone who calls himself Kraze.
Maybe he is a Kraze fan. :)
But there have been cases, where famous musicians, pop up on music DAW forums, once in a while. 8-)

Special thanks to your friend, for providing that link.
quite often a layered piano 'dance-piano' just uses a copy of notes one octave higher, but with half the volume (velocity). It creates sharpness / fullness of the piano.

*Merry Christmas Everyone*
Thank you, so I have been layering already. :)

I cloned a track, and put the notes in the cloned track one or two steps of 1/192 ahead.
Also to make the sound more full. That works rather well, if you keep the difference small enough, you cant hear that the notes are actual being played twice.

I tried in lmms already what the opening post of this topic states. It does not work nice with the piano vst I am using.
The normal chords I used sound much better.

With google I found a topic on this forum about compression. (calf multiband compressor)
Also a link from musicbear about compression. I now do understand compression, but not why that logic pro topic tells us to use compression.
Compression is used as far as I get it, if you have an instrument or voice, with a lot of loudness difference. With a compressor you can make this difference smaller.

I found Kraze on facebook, and asked him for help. Lets see if I get a response.
Also put a link to my streamcloud page in the question.

Very curious if he just sampled a real piano or what ever, and if he is willing to share that with me. (us)
Most artist won't mind if you try to cover them, as long as you do tell who wrote the original.
That why with the two covers I already did, I state who made the original.

Back to the piano sounds. I have been trying a different piano vst called jazzbaby.
This one does respond to my automation track of the pitch.
It gives a funny effect, but it shows its not something kraze did.
I made the smallest possible triangles, and the effect is something to remember.
The jazzbaby vst might fit better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSoYHkS5ETY
( why do those demo vids always sound better then the vst in lmms ? )
musikbear wrote:quite often a layered piano 'dance-piano' just uses a copy of notes one octave higher, but with half the volume (velocity). It creates sharpness / fullness of the piano.

*Merry Christmas Everyone*
Thank you, and from what I tried, what you said makes much more sense.

One oct up and down is too much.

And a merry Christmas to you too.
Progress :)

I can of course also have a layered track with a different piano vst.
And after watching a vid, I tried the calf Phaser.

I think I am on the right track, my piano does start to sound more full. It might be even too much.
Very happy, besides the sound of my piano not sounding much like the Kraze one, I am much more annoyed by it sounding so thin. :)

I now should have enough options to solve that.

The more I try the compressor though, the more I start to doubt, I should use it.
Yep. Merry Christmas again to you too musikbear and Gps.
Very happy, besides the sound of my piano not sounding much like the Kraze one, I am much more annoyed by it sounding so thin. :)
Hmm...... :geek: .
Let me try and make/replicate that piano sound in Synth 1 or Triple Oscillator.
This will take a while. :geek:
:O

I wish I knew were and how to start to make my own presets.

I assume I have to start some were, by creating an xpf file ?
This is to help you get started.
Just follow the LMMSdude Trance Bassline tutorial and then save your preset.
Alter to make your own sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IUOL05O8so
Thank you
and aha vintage delay has a bpm setting, :)