live playing with pc keyboard

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
dear friends;

so far I've been programming my tracks with clicking a lot of dots with my mouse.

I do not own yet any midi controller such as 'piano controller' nor 'square controller' for my drum patterns

so I'd like some insight about these topic :

is it possible to assign any drum sample to a keyboard key? say D or F, for instance?
and how do I start a live recording using LMMS?
is there any built-in looping tool in LMMS? If not, what kind of tool should i buy?

I want this kind of video and I would love so much to perform the same...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nobJzqM6ANw

thanks a lot;
qantuum wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:50 pm
nor 'square controller' for my drum patterns
I think you mean drum-pad(?)

is it possible to assign any drum sample to a keyboard key? say D or F, for instance?
Not in native lmms. You may be able to find a high-end midi-kb that also has a sampler-feature. Afaik none exists(?)
how do I start a live recording using LMMS?
Native lmms can 'record' or rather capture note-events!
That is done with the 'record&play' button:
(third from left)
In RC6 we can now record-to-wave in song-editor, too
is there any built-in looping tool in LMMS?
Yes! Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTaCs_8j2M

I would love so much to perform the same...
I dont think lmms will be ready for this, for 'a while'. The video shows studio ready hw. for big $. -so no.
I think, that in that video the pc is not making the sound.
Its probably midi hardware, that makes the sound.

With LMMS, for now, you're pc makes the sound.

I know there is work done on midi out from LMMS, that's what you need for that with like musicbear said $$$$.

LMMS has buildin software synths. With midi out you use hardware synthezisers / keyboards, drum computers and so on.
Thanks for you two answering

fun fact, I did not catch at all what you said @Gps
Actually I know nothing about all this hardware. I just got myself a cheap-cheap external soundcard which I use only to replace my faulty jack input on the computer.

I hear that it's about $$$ so I'll wait a bit until I can afford.

@musikbear

YES darn, it was drum pad exactly. I cannot haz one.
Thanks for telling me how to record; I have some soundfont drum kits I can use on my pc keyboard now; so that's a start.

Sad that no DAW is allowing me to re-map pc keyboard keys as I wish (I tried to find this option in FL Studio and in Anvil Studio; but failed). Maybe this is me being illogical; but I would like to configure each key individually, as it can be done on an emulator when you assign your commands...Assigning whatever note I wish on whatever key, Instead of having the usual two piano octives would be useful for microtonal picking. I remember that I am not even able to produce proper sound on thestandard 12EDO scale lol.

Thx also for this tut, I'll have a look.
qantuum wrote:
so far I've been programming my tracks with clicking a lot of dots with my mouse
If you do not have a MIDI keyboard, you can use the keys on your computer keyboard. And so you can also record what you play on your keyboard.
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:19 pm
qantuum wrote:
nor 'square controller' for my drum patterns
I think you mean drum-pad(?)

Not in native lmms. You may be able to find a high-end midi-kb that also has a sampler-feature. Afaik none exists(?)
how do I start a live recording using LMMS?
Native lmms can 'record' or rather capture note-events!
That is done with the 'record&play' button:
(third from left)
In RC6 we can now record-to-wave in song-editor, too
is there any built-in looping tool in LMMS?
Yes! Look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCTaCs_8j2M

I would love so much to perform the same...
I dont think lmms will be ready for this, for 'a while'. The video shows studio ready hw. for big $. -so no.
You mentioned that you can't use your computer keyboard in Native LMMS, is there a plugin that allows keyboard input?