DAW instrument copyright/royalty question

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi LMMS Community,

I just started using my first DAW which is LMMS a couple of months ago. And I've been putting my music that I wrote using Guitar Pro into LMMS to use other instruments than what the tablature program offers.

My question is, are the instruments copyrighted, am I able to claim a song as my own even though I'm using an LMMS instrument? Like a bells 1.xiz in the "presets" for example, or a cello01.ogg in the instruments section of samples. There's a song I wrote that involves vibraphone and bells in Guitar Pro, but they sound terrible in Guitar Pro, so I wanted to use LMMS's bells. Would I have to pay royalties/copyright for using LMMS's bell instrument? Assuming the song accumulates income. Am I even able to claim the song as my own even though I'm using a cello01.ogg?
Or is it the same thing as if I'm using my keyboard's bells/cello? (The one I bought from Sam Ash).

I know it may be a dumb question. But my mind is just not at ease. The only reason I found about this kind of topic is because I wanted to add reverb. In the FX-effects chain-add effect. I see the name and details of the kind of reverb, then I see below it a "Copyright: GPL, 2004-7" and "Maker: Tim Goetze".
Would Tim need to know I ended up using that reverb? Would I need his permission to add that reverb? Could Tim sue me if my song made income from using his reverb?
When making my music, would I have to mention every .ogg and Owner of an effect used?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Exoduth wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:46 pm
Hi LMMS Community,
Hi1 Welcome to the Forum Exoduth !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

My question is, are the instruments copyrighted

You may use everything in LMMS to create anything. And Everything you create with LMMS belongs to YOU.

The restrictions for Samples:
The exact license the samples are offered under is GPL2. GPL2 is a source license.
You can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from lmms samples library as your own!

To be clear, the exact license the samples are offered under currently is GPL2. Since GPL2 is a source license, that doesn't really help when using artwork or binary files.

As of right now, you can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from our samples library as your own until we rebuild them in a true CC0 fashion.

Note, bundled project files aren't C00 cleared either. If you have a question about a particular track, let a developer know and we'll do our best to get you in contact with the original artist. This will be fixed in the future as time permits. (and we're in desperate need of help in this area)

I know it may be a dumb question. But my mind is just not at ease.
Not dumb at all. Its often asked.
(we do not regard any Qs dumb -btw :)
Hope this cleared things up for you, if not be specific, and repost
Welcome to the forums Exoduth.

I got your message.
Musikbears info above, explains what you want to know, in detail.
So feel free to read it.
Hi Musikbear/Brandy,

Ah okay. So it's pertaining to the sample of LMMS itself.

Example: Same thing as if its a Yamaha synth keyboard which would be LMMS, the sample(instrument/synth sound) is Yamaha's(LMMS).
But what I create from the Yamaha synth keyboard(LMMS) is mine.

Thank you very much for clarifying. I really was stressing out about this, and made me hesitate on continuing with LMMS.
Because there are so many instrument sounds, and I love the "Saw" sounds available. I wanted to be allowed to use that sound.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the welcoming and I appreciate the info. LMMS is beautiful. I just wish I heard about it years ago, I would probably be a pro at using it by now. :-)