Complimenting Melodies

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask: How can you make melodies which go well together(specifically for trap)? I want to stack melodies, but they never seem to fit together. Are there any tips to finding complementing melodies?

Thanks
flaggy148 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:19 am
tips to finding complementing melodies?
idk specifics on trap - most i have heard, is rather in lack of melodies, but that aside -Best thing to remember is:
* Stay in scale!
* find instruments that balance well. -Eg If you want destinct difference, find different instruments, if you want the opposite, use similar instruments
* Study the music you like, and learn from that structure, as well as the instrument that is common in the genre
flaggy148 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask: How can you make melodies which go well together(specifically for trap)? I want to stack melodies, but they never seem to fit together. Are there any tips to finding complementing melodies?

Thanks
I do not know how a trap structure is made but here are the stuff I can suggest:
- Like musikbear said, stay in key. use a scale, I think trap normally uses a minor scale.
- Seperate both melodies. One is the main melody and the other is more of a suporting stuff. Think of it as a conversation, the first is asking a question, then the second one answers it.
- Keep trying...... :| (I also have have a time with melodies).
flaggy148 wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks
Aah! This is a tough question to answer, because to put the answer in words, is tough enough.

But as the others said above, when making other complimenting melodies, staying in key
is a good idea.

The other advice I can give you, is to play around with some random synth sound presets.
Press some button/keys and by luck, you might accidently make a melody, that might
compliment the main melody of your song.
And use your imagination too, since imagination is a big part of making music.