About Royalty problem

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I made a song using a sample called Crunck in Shorties, and I thought it would be copyrighted.
I wanted to ask the developer myself, but I don't know how.
Is it okay to use it without Royalty?
hpik3049 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:53 am
using a sample called Crunck in Shorties
::
Noone here can tell you. I can only tell you the situation around our samples:

The exact license the samples are offered under is GPL2. GPL2 is a source license.
You can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from lmms samples library as your own!
To be clear, the exact license the samples are offered under currently is GPL2. Since GPL2 is a source license, that doesn't really help when using artwork or binary files.
As of right now, you can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from our samples library as your own until we rebuild them in a true CC0 fashion.
-Note, bundled project files aren't C00 cleared either.

So thats the situation with the samples that comes with LMMS!
How to cope with random stuff you get from the internet, is not possible to answer, only the owner can.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome hpik3049!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
musikbear wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:16 pm
hpik3049 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:53 am
using a sample called Crunck in Shorties
::
Noone here can tell you. I can only tell you the situation around our samples:

The exact license the samples are offered under is GPL2. GPL2 is a source license.
You can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from lmms samples library as your own!
To be clear, the exact license the samples are offered under currently is GPL2. Since GPL2 is a source license, that doesn't really help when using artwork or binary files.
As of right now, you can do whatever you want with derivative works, just don't relicense anything from our samples library as your own until we rebuild them in a true CC0 fashion.
-Note, bundled project files aren't C00 cleared either.

So thats the situation with the samples that comes with LMMS!
How to cope with random stuff you get from the internet, is not possible to answer, only the owner can.

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome hpik3049!
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
Thank you for your answer
So you means i can't use that crank loof right??
Fundamentally Lmms is open source program but using a sample tracks or loofs are different problem.
Is it right that i understood??
hpik3049 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:03 am
Fundamentally Lmms is open source program but using a sample tracks or loofs are different problem.
Yes, that is correct. Samples, recordings, artwork of any kind, needs to be specifically marked accordingly to creative-commons, or simply be marked Free-to-use
But be careful with 'Free' stuff
Sometimes there are hidden surprises, directly meant for trapping peeps, so read everything carefully

I want to stress this:
Everything you create with LMMS belongs to you!
You alone!
Psst...
So does any kind of controversy from you using the software :)
Its allll yours!
O
musikbear wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:17 pm
hpik3049 wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:03 am
Yes, that is correct. Samples, recordings, artwork of any kind, needs to be specifically marked accordingly to creative-commons, or simply be marked Free-to-use
But be careful with 'Free' stuff
Sometimes there are hidden surprises, directly meant for trapping peeps, so read everything carefully

I want to stress this:
Everything you create with LMMS belongs to you!
You alone!
Psst...
So does any kind of controversy from you using the software :)
Its allll yours!
Hi musikbear!! I have one more question about things what i asked
I discovered a document pertaining to selling
Here is the link that i found!
https://lmms.io/documentation/User_FAQ
{Q: Can I sell my song that I made in LMMS?
A: Yes. As long as you have just used samples, instruments and effects from LMMS, or know that the external material has correct licences, you can sell your song created in LMMS. }
What is a difference between you just told me and this document said!!
I'm really sorry and thanksfull of your pleasure
hpik3049 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:34 pm
[/u]What is a difference between you just told me and this document said!!
It says the same:
A: Yes. As long as you have just used samples, instruments and effects from LMMS, or know that the external material has correct licences, you can sell your song created in LMMS. }

Key is :
have just used

Used meaning that you have not bundled samples or other parts of lmms in your song.

So the thing to remember is to not re-distribute anything! -Just as i says in
comment of 07 Jul 2018, 19:17
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:52 pm
hpik3049 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:34 pm
[/u]What is a difference between you just told me and this document said!!
It says the same:

Key is :
have just used

Used meaning that you have not bundled samples or other parts of lmms in your song.

So the thing to remember is to not re-distribute anything! -Just as i says in
comment of 07 Jul 2018, 19:17

Ahh i gotcha!!
So presently nothing make it using by lmms!!
Because all instruments or effect or sample has a license already.
Then why developer wrote a words like that?
Why he said that " you can sell your song made by lmms". I think " LMMS is a program that to improve your own music composin skills. Never sell the song" is more correct :D :D

P.s Always thank you for your reply!! :D :D
hpik3049 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 am
I think " LMMS is a program that to improve your own music composin skills. Never sell the song" is more correct
NOOO!
You have it completely wrong!
You confuses yourself with the concept 'Samples'

In factory LMMS there are s folder named Samples
These files are fine to USE in your own compositions !
NOT redistribute!
ONLY U S E!
The final song belongs to YOU! You may Sell it, Give it away, Allow others to use it - It is Y O U R S -alone!

In the music-industry there is a concept named samples.
Those were the basic of almost all House artist music from 80' - 90+
Samples means stolen pieces of finished songs, used in new ways.
That is illegal, but has absolute nothing to do with the folder Samples in your LMMS installation

Got it.. ?

And you were not allowed to use the s o n g named 'Crank'. It does not matter what formate a finished song has, it still belongs to the composer!
musikbear wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:07 pm
hpik3049 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:15 am
I think " LMMS is a program that to improve your own music composin skills. Never sell the song" is more correct
NOOO!
You have it completely wrong!
You confuses yourself with the concept 'Samples'

In factory LMMS there are s folder named Samples
These files are fine to USE in your own compositions !
NOT redistribute!
ONLY U S E!
The final song belongs to YOU! You may Sell it, Give it away, Allow others to use it - It is Y O U R S -alone!

In the music-industry there is a concept named samples.
Those were the basic of almost all House artist music from 80' - 90+
Samples means stolen pieces of finished songs, used in new ways.
That is illegal, but has absolute nothing to do with the folder Samples in your LMMS installation

Got it.. ?

And you were not allowed to use the s o n g named 'Crank'. It does not matter what formate a finished song has, it still belongs to the composer!
Ah! Now I know!
You mean, sampling is a story in which I have to ask permission of the original creator, no matter what type of variation I take, but it's okay to use it simply in composing.
The sample in the LMMS folder is actually using pre-accepted samples, and if I am inspired by them and used in a completely different format, the song is final in ownership.
So I can sell my own creative original songs when I complete them using the instruments in LMMS.
For reference, if you purchase and use the FREE-Sample-pack or sample, you can directly modify the sample.

In conclusion, if the melody of the original sample sounds the same or feels similar, it can cause problems.
That's right??