Side chaining a sample track?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm not really sure if it's even possible, and to be fair I haven't spent very long scouring the forums for an answer, but who's getting hurt by me asking. Is there any way to side chain a sample track? I edited the sample in Audacity before moving it over to LMMS so if there isn't, what would be the best alternative to using a sample track that would allow for side chaining?
flipxide wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:49 am
I'm not really sure if it's even possible, and to be fair I haven't spent very long scouring the forums for an answer, but who's getting hurt by me asking. Is there any way to side chain a sample track? I edited the sample in Audacity before moving it over to LMMS so if there isn't, what would be the best alternative to using a sample track that would allow for side chaining?
Welcome to the forums flipxide.
Your post has been moved, to the correct place on the forum.
Production Help.
brandystarbrite wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:55 am
Welcome to the forums flipxide.
Your post has been moved, to the correct place on the forum.
Production Help.
Thank you very much :)
As far as I know it is possible but I've never tried
One of the best ways to do it is to map your sample track to an individual FX channel of its own and then connect your FX channel to the lfo controller.
flipxide wrote:
Yes it's possible.
It seems to me that there are several ways to do it.

Here is one:

1) select your kick, in the FX tab of your kick (or in the mixer), add the effect "Peak Controller". This one will appear to you, and in addition to this Peak Controller, you have another controller that appears in the Controller Rack (F11). In the Controller Rack, if there is only one Controller, it is called by default "Controller 1 ". I advise you to rename this last one by double clicking on it (it's a good trick when you have a lot of controllers).

2) click on the sample track, click on "add effect", and select for example Amplifier. When it appears, right-click on the VOL parameter, and select "Connect Controller". A window named "Configuration of the connection" appears, click on the led "User controller" and select "Controller 1".

3) Now the VOL parameter of the Amplifier assigned to your sample track is connected to the Peak Controller associated with your kick. You still need to set the Peak Controller correctly. The two main Peak Controller parameters to be manipulated are "BASE", "AMNT" and "Mute Effect".

There are other ways to do it (at least one), but I do not remember anymore ...

I hope my explanation is clear enough.
D.Ipsum wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:52 am
flipxide wrote:
Yes it's possible.
It seems to me that there are several ways to do it.

Here is one:

1) select your kick, in the FX tab of your kick (or in the mixer), add the effect "Peak Controller". This one will appear to you, and in addition to this Peak Controller, you have another controller that appears in the Controller Rack (F11). In the Controller Rack, if there is only one Controller, it is called by default "Controller 1 ". I advise you to rename this last one by double clicking on it (it's a good trick when you have a lot of controllers).

2) click on the sample track, click on "add effect", and select for example Amplifier. When it appears, right-click on the VOL parameter, and select "Connect Controller". A window named "Configuration of the connection" appears, click on the led "User controller" and select "Controller 1".

3) Now the VOL parameter of the Amplifier assigned to your sample track is connected to the Peak Best Mic associated with your kick. You still need to set the Peak Controller correctly. The two main Peak Controller parameters to be manipulated are "BASE", "AMNT" and "Mute Effect".

There are other ways to do it (at least one), but I do not remember anymore ...

I hope my explanation is clear enough.
Nice thanks for the post, what would be the best alternative to using a sample track that would allow for side chaining?
Ryan2tawfiq wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:24 pm

what would be the best alternative to using a sample track for side chaining?
Are you asking about instrument side-chaining in general?
First and foremost: Side-chaining (sc) is nothing but a rhythmic and controlled variation of the volume of one or more specific instruments.
So absolutely everything that you can use as a controlled variation of volume-output, will have the nature of sc.
In some DAWs -programs like LMMS, this solved very low-tech: You can simply draw a curve for the volume!
In LMMS, you can do that with automation!
Some plugins can do similar thing.
So a generalized answer to your question: Anything that can change Volume, is an alternative sc approach, to above mentioned methods