Starting out - worth using LMMS or should I switch ???

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm starting out dabbling for the first time in making my own music, and I've been working my way through synthwave production tutorials on Youtube. I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment, and while I've done ok with my cheap midi keyboard and headphones, so far I've been using LMMS for my DAW, since it's, you know, free. But I've been running into some issues with it - it doesn't seem to be the best snaptube tubemate test-dpcat equalization, and it can crash on occasion, usually due to some of the custom VSTs I'm using.

I'm worried that using LMMS might be limiting me, and maybe I should switch now while I'm still fresh and learning so I don't get too used to it. Is it worth switching to another, possibly paid, program? I've seen both FL Studio and Reaper recommended. Or should I just worry more about learning music theory and technique now and change to a paid one later if I outgrow it?
Some people have told me I should not use lmms, but albeton, (fruity loops) or cubase.

I then asked one question, will my track sound better just because I use Cubase or Albeton, and then they go quiet because it won't.

You're the only one who can decide if you need to switch.
The only reason I can think of, that lmms cant export into a format a studio can use.
As far as I understand it though, that only needs the exporting of individual tracks.

This option was or is already there, but from what I heard not working right yet.

I recently saw a documentary about house music. The early day artists, bought a cheap synth because they could not afford anything better. The did it with what they had. They also admitted, that from a music theory point of few, they did not know what they were doing.

One thing on my list of things I want is studio monitors. ( speakers that don't colour the sound )
Alexsebastian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am
I'm starting out
-And to me thats the important sentence.
You have the chance to find out if you have any talent for making music, without a substantial investment, because as you say : LMMS is free!
Back in the days say, i said to our then head of devl.
" im sure -One day, LMMS will be for musicians, what GIMP is for artists."
LMMS is getting close now!
In some ways, overtaking! Because LMMS is user-driven!
When users speak, this project listen, and new things are born! Thats something you dont see in the big commercials.
You cant compare LMMS to like PRO-TOOLS -yet :p, but daily we are getting closer.
Btw on you list you should consider BitWig, witch accordingly to one of our own, is superior to fls

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome Alexsebastian !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
I agree with the others, the quality of LMMS against what it can do for free I feel is enough to stick with it. I have found myself with some paid for DAWs through online sales etc. but always come back to LMMS. Some of these require further heavy financial investment to unlock all the features and the one that don't feel somehow more limited that LMMS.

I guess the best advice would be to have a go on some that have free trials - at least then you can feel if they are enough of an improvement.
You were always going to get answers mainly from fans of LMMS in this forum. I enjoyed it for quite a while and it's certainly possible to produce some excellent music using it. I still come back and I still think the LMMS version of ZynAddSubFx is one of the best synths available anywhere.

Eventually, for me, having to use a separate program to record or edit audio and not being able to even try many of the VSTs that people recommend got too much so I now spend most of my time using Reaper. But the learning curve in Reaper is pretty steep so you have to be certain you're going to stick with music to make it worthwhile.

So I'd probably suggest working with LMMS at least for a while. Concentrate on getting the music to work for you. Then when or if the limitations of LMMS get really annoying, that will be the time to move on.

Steve
Alexsebastian wrote:
?
I mainly use LMMS and a little FL Studio, I did not try the other DAWs. I have the impression that LMMS is the easiest DAW to tame. All other DAWs are much more advanced, have more options, etc. But if you're a beginner, I'm not sure it changes anything. Idk.

LMMS is quite similar to FL Studio.
The advantage of FL Studio over other commercial DAWs is that your license allows you to download updates for free. For other DAWs, I think every update pays off. If money is a sensitive issue for your wallet, I think it's an aspect of things to consider. It would be good to know if music is a true passion, something that will accompany you for many years (why sell a kidney for something that will not last?).
Alexsebastian wrote:
I'm starting out dabbling for the first time in making my own music,.......
Your topic has generously been moved to production help.

Welcome to the lmms forums Alexsebastian.
A few people have told me, to use FL Studio and other daw's, but I decided to stay
with Lmms, because I find it to be really cool.

We have a couple of users here on the forum, who originally use other daw's, but decided
to switch over to Lmms.

Advice: Me, I'd probably tell you, to learn to make music in Lmms, and when you're ready
switch over to whatever other daw you like.

We can only guide you here.
But in reality, your decision and whatever you decide, is really all up to you. :)