Music theory or mixing?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
What is the most important? Do you need to know a lot about music theory to make good music or just know how the music sounds is enough?
Rafaelcortazio wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:59 pm
What is the most important?
Mixing is not important at all. Some of the most famous pieces of music is not mixed. EDM is mixed, and it is an important phase of pruducing, but if you make EDM that does not comply to music (theory), it will sound hor.. i mean HORrible
EDM is build on amazing chords, and making chords is part of theory
I give a crash course here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cH1Rs56V8c
Bear is right. For now, learning some music theory, and learning
to create melodies, is more important. So take your time and enjoy.
Paul McCartney still doesn't read or write music. That says something about the necessity of having vast music theory knowledge.
acollins1979 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 pm
Paul McCartney still doesn't read or write music. That says something about the necessity of having vast music theory knowledge.
Wooah! Interesting.
I would say focus on & get skilled at mixing before you learn music theory. Music theory can--in theory (no pun intended)--help you create better music by open up your world/toolset to different compositional availabilities you may not have known about before, but I feel like the creation-side of music is more about just making music that's an accurate reflection of how you FEEL.

That being said, you could produce & arrange the most technically impressive, difficult, and advanced song ever (from a music theory standpoint), but if the mix of it sounds like crap, no one's probably going to want to listen. Learning how to create a good, clean, cohesive mix is IMO waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important.

Think about how many GREAT songs you ever heard that--compositionally speaking--were simple, but that you enjoy listening to simply because sonically, they are very well done.