Dynamic range compression help

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
So, I think I'm still pretty bad at mixing and mastering and it is arguably the biggest problem with my music right now. I've recently been trying to get a little better with this by learning side-chain compression, volume balancing, trying to remove instruments that don't serve a purpose etc.

But the thing that confuses me in LMMS is dynamic range compression. I realize I need to use this because otherwise some of my sounds (drums at least) will clip especially after Soundcloud processes it. But there is no GUI for any of the native compressors (I've been mostly using Calf). I'm left guessing where to set the threshold and ratio. I haven't found a good way to measure the volume levels except for making crude estimates with spectrum analyser. But then the threshold knob doesn't have units in decibels anyway (I have no idea what the units are and I haven't found info by googling, but the LV2 version of Calf Compressor seems to have units as decibels ). And once I set the threshold, I want to set the ratio just right so that my music is loud enough and does not clip, but so that I don't over-compress it and make it sound boring. But I have no idea how to find the correct ratio. So where do you set the threshold (average volume, or higher or lower?) and how do you find that volume level? And how do you set the ratio (how big is the ratio normally)?

Maybe I should do the mastering somewhere else like audacity or maybe my mixes are bad so they are hard to master anyway? Maybe I'm missing something else like using more EQ or using a limiter?

Sorry for the very broad question(s), I'm happy to hear any opinions!
I am interested also to see and read any responses.

I think i am fairly good at mixing my music, and have used the Equalisers also after mixing.

That is the extent of mastering i have gotten into.
When it comes to compression, I always use the Native Instruments Supercharger compressor. It's mostly for drums, but it will work for just about anything. From what I've noticed when making a track, the most common problem when it comes to mixing is too much low end frequencies. Try eq-ing your bass or kick drum to cut down on some of those frequencies.
DJB wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm
From what I've noticed when making a track, the most common problem when it comes to mixing is too much low end frequencies. Try eq-ing your bass or kick drum to cut down on some of those frequencies.
I was able to see exactly that recently when i used the built in 'Equaliser' tool, it has a mini spectrum analyser window where you can see the frequencies while track is playing,

Bass and kick reach right up close to the -0db mark while the remaining sounds are all very low.

I found that tool very useful.

I dont want to detract from the owner of this threads questions but may i ask your opinion?

If i am happy with the sound of my track after mixing and using the Equaliser tool, should i leave it alone or does it definitely require further processing?

I have varied the volumes on each individual instrument.
Varied volume of notes within the elements themselves at certain points.
Monitored the entire track playing on the FX mixer to ensure none are peaking or knocking another sound out or clipping.
Used the equaliser to bring all levels to the same mid point.

Should i leave it alone? Or does it need further tools applied?
I guess that depends on what you're looking for. I always use a compressor on the drums no matter how much I like them, because I want them to stand out in a mix. I will also put a compressor on the overall mix itself just to have a more polished sound. It all depends on what you're looking for.
DJB wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:05 pm
When it comes to compression, I always use the Native Instruments Supercharger compressor. It's mostly for drums, but it will work for just about anything. From what I've noticed when making a track, the most common problem when it comes to mixing is too much low end frequencies. Try eq-ing your bass or kick drum to cut down on some of those frequencies.
Thanks for the tips! I'll look into adding compressors onto drums and being smart with EQ. I'm using mostly Linux atm but I have access to Windows as well so maybe I'll try out supercharger there.
Incorruptable wrote:
I was able to see exactly that recently when i used the built in 'Equaliser' tool, it has a mini spectrum analyser window where you can see the frequencies while track is playing,
Great point as well! I wonder if all these LMMS spectrum analyzers (the moving bars in the "bar chart") show peak volume over some time period or some sort of short term moving avarage. Because if it does not show peak volume it could mask any potential clipping.

I also found out (from Cubicians tutorial) that the dynamics processor can be used as a versatile compressor, limiter and more but it does not have an inbuilt spectrum analyzer unfortunately.

When it comes to clipping, I just found out that audacity and especially ardour have some intuitive clipping detection methods, so maybe I'll do part of my mastering outside LMMS im the future.

BTW, does the "declipper" effect do what the name sounds like it does? I found no documentation. And how does it declip, is it just a limiter?
The best part about the Supercharger was that it was completely free! I highly encourage you to check it out!
Using compressors and limiters, on instruments like drums, are great. But some of them, can sometimes alter the sound, of an instrument. And make it sound, not the way you want it too. Just a heads up. :)
Yeah, when you're using Supercharger, be sure to hit sidechain on the drum track, otherwise it will make things like hi-hats sound really weird.
DJB wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:19 pm
Yeah, when you're using Supercharger, be sure to hit sidechain on the drum track, otherwise it will make things like hi-hats sound really weird.
Exactly.