In desperation, where to start.

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi, my 1st post here.

I have NO experience with keyboards or any electronic instruments, even amplified acoustic. I can play the tin whistle a bit & the Hurdy Gurdy, strum a guitar. That's about it.

Some time ago I switched to Linux & as part of that loaded LMMS as I wanted to compose music without buying a synth, my aim was to try my hand at Tangerine Dream style music - or more specifically Statosfear & Richochet which are my all time favourite pieces of music.

I've played about with LMMS for hours & not got very far. I'm now looking at buying a synth such as Novation x-station or Roland JD-XI as they seam a little more intuitive to use but don't know where to start regarding how I'd 'record' or build a complete track.

I've spent hours looking on Ytube at tutorials which don't seam to cover my position but suspect I'm using the wrong search terms.

SO PLEASE HELP BEFORE MY HEAD IMPLODES - please.
TDNE wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Hi, my 1st post here.
Hi, Welcome to the Forum TDNE !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions

I have NO experience with ...
Dont worry, you do not need any
I wanted to compose music without buying a synth.
DAWs are the right way to go, then
I wanted to compose music like Tangerine Dream style music
In LMMS you can compose all kind of music.
I've played about with LMMS for hours & not got very far.
what is your biggest problem:
  • Understanding the program?
Perhaps my LMMS rookie-guide can interest you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcUCFfQ3wn8
  • Understanding notes scales and keys (music theory)
Lots of sources online! Heres my own https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cH1Rs56V8c
I'm now looking at buying a synth such as Novation x-station or Roland JD-XI
I would advise against that. You should be able to use your pc-kb for now, and get an understanding of what it means and takes to make music. Investing in MIDI-HW will not make you become a composer. Wait with that investment!

First:
Study the music you like!
  • What structure does it have
  • What type on instruments are used?
second:
Go through LMMS methodically and thorough. Understand the tool you are using!

Third:
Bring 1. and 2. together in a tiny remake of a few bars of your favorite song

If you follow that recipe, and does it successfully, you have already come a long way.
Dont be 'scared' posting links to your effords. All here are nice, and eager to assist you.
Thanks for those suggestions & the welcome. I originally went with a DAWS as I hadn't any money for a synth, I can now afford a couple of hundred.
My biggest problem is:
Finding an instrument/preset with the sound I want. The style I'm after is mid late '70's Moog with arpegiator & sequencer. I get I can sequence on the piano roll but I can't find out how to alter that once the notes are down ie. on a physical synth they can set note/s to play without continuously pressing the key then play around with that note/chord using the dials, Hence I was looking at real hardware.
Can LMMS do that?
Simple: play your piano-roll as a loop (use the loop button in the piano-roll menu - set the beginning and end of the loop using the middle (beginning) and right (end) mouse buttons.

While it's looping, muck about with the synth settings.

If your piano-roll notes aren't conducive to messing with the sound while it's playing, then just create a new block that is. Maybe with just a bunch of middle-C whole- or half-notes. Just to play with the synth.

And don't forget the Effects! Chances are, seems to me, that the sound you're looking for might be more due to Effects than synth settings.

Once you find the settings you like, be sure and Save that "synth preset" to a new instrument so you can get to it again! Now THERE's something a hardware synth might not do... save its settings (never had one, have no idea). Pity the poor Moog players. Absolutely no way to save the settings other than drawing a map. Respect to the pioneers! I have to wonder what Rick Wakeman or Jean Michele Jarre might have been able to do with a DAW when they were teenagers...
TDNE wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:28 pm
Hi, my 1st post here.
Topic has been moved to production help.
Thanks, I'll certainly give it a go.

Is there any way to alter more than one synth setting at the same time & any way to alter a setting more quickly than with the scroll wheel or moving the mouse while over a knob. 'Knobs' seem a bad choice to me in this respect for a computer GUI.
Aah, I've found Cubician's tutorials & Automation, looks like things are shaping up :-)
Now THERE's something a hardware synth might not do... save its settings (never had one, have no idea). Pity the poor Moog players.
All the snyths I looked at can - some with greater memory banks than others.

Now I've found the arpeggio button on the FX windows & have automation I'm much closer to my goal. Cubician's videos have been a big help. Thank you both.