Using " sons trouvés" in LMMS?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm struggling to find the right way to express this but here goes:

I have a number of samples I've recorded of natural sounds (running water in streams, ambient 'room sound' and so on) that I want to use as background to "songs"

They're intended to run seamlessly through a whole "song", while other things (beats, chord fragments etc) are layered over the top.

Most of these samples are about 30s long.

What's the most appropriate way to get these into the song editor & drone on repeatedly in the background while I add the other things I want?

Presumably I simply treat them like any other sample and drag them into the song editor, but it's hard for me to comprehend what happens next ... sorry!

I'm sure many other people have done this in the past in all sorts of music software let alone LMMS, so this is simply about my ignorance and lack of understanding..

can I get a little help?
thanks!

LMMS 1.2.1 on Linux 64bit
notjon wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
I'm struggling to find the right way to express this but here goes:

I have a number of samples I've recorded of natural sounds (running water in streams, ambient 'room sound' and so on) that I want to use as background to "songs"

They're intended to run seamlessly through a whole "song", while other things (beats, chord fragments etc) are layered over the top.

Most of these samples are about 30s long.

What's the most appropriate way to get these into the song editor & drone on repeatedly in the background while I add the other things I want?

Presumably I simply treat them like any other sample and drag them into the song editor, but it's hard for me to comprehend what happens next ... sorry!

I'm sure many other people have done this in the past in all sorts of music software let alone LMMS, so this is simply about my ignorance and lack of understanding..

can I get a little help?
thanks!

LMMS 1.2.1 on Linux 64bit
Are you asking about how to get the samples into LMMS and the song editor or are you asking about what to do with the sample once it is in the song editor (the latter question might be hard to give an answer to for a general situation without more context, just do what sounds good in your opinion :P)?
notjon wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:22 pm
If you like how i did in this track https://soundcloud.com/musikbear/walkin ... ese-garden
In that track, i fade the effect in, but that is also reflecting the 'walking around'.
You should b able to 'stitch' shorter samples together with overlapping AFP's, because you can set start and endpoint in ms, so that is also an option. Else you need to build the combined sample in audacity, and use a Sample-track, but that will fast jam it self up to being a serious huge file
I realise that I haven't explained myself very well.

The idea is to create a soundscape rather than a "song", in which layers of sound are built up but without actually being tied to bars or even beats (though there will be fragments of musical chords and fragmentary rhythms mixed in too)

I understand how to get the sample into LMMS, by dragging it in using AFP for instance.
I understand that I can create longgggggggggggg "notes" in the song editor, but I think @musikbear's answer about stitching might be a lot of the way I need to go.

it's possible that LMMS isn't the right tool for what I want to do, but I can't think what would be better.

Anyway, I still have a gigantic amount to learn about audio processing & if how long it took for me to learn Python is anything to go by, it'll probably be about two years before I actually produce something.

Thanks guys
You can use sample tracks as well https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Wo ... th_Samples

If you are not planning to use midi or external instruments (synthesizers) and you are planning to just use samples, this sounds like something you could do in audacity as well. I don't have a huge amount of experience with audacity but it seems to me like it is better suited for manipulating samples and audio recordings than LMMS. And on Linux you can also get Ardour from KX studio repositories (or else you can pay for the binaries of course). Another choice I have heard about but don't know much about is Qtractor.
I didn't say I wasn't going to use midi, or just use samples though.
Audacity, while a great tool, doesn't have the automation that LMMS (and other DAWs) offers, nor such a range of well-integrated plugins.
I compiled and looked at Ardour the other week, and while comprehensive, I found the interface & workflow uninviting to say the least.
I'd forgotten about Qtractor, and will have another look at it.
notjon wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 pm
The idea is to create a soundscape rather than a "song", in which layers of sound are built up but without actually being tied to bars or even beats (though there will be fragments of musical chords and fragmentary rhythms mixed in too)
Ok that is close to the genre called Ambient ao new-wave
If that isw aof interest i simply have to show you HG-fortunes Alionoctis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbvKOCrd6g
That is the most amazing synth for ambience, and you can spend whole days just listening to the crazy soundscapes it can produce. It is one of a kind!
musikbear wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:21 pm
If that is of interest i simply have to show you HG-fortunes Alionoctis
wow.
That is quite extraordinary.
How does anyone ever find their way around it, or begin to control it?
It feels as if it ought to have a dedicated hardware touch-screen or something like a Kaoss Pad :lol:

And there was me thinking that the LMMS Multitap Echo was quite cool ...