Mixing time signatures within a single song

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm working on a track that is mainly in 4/4 time, but there are a couple of instances where samples do not fit nicely in 4/4 but rather 3/4 because of their length. The samples are isolated, so the easiest thing to do in theory is drop to 3/4 on just those sections, but I don't see an easy way of doing this mid-track in LMMS. Is this even possible? I could change the time sig to something divisible by both 4/4 and 3/4, but that would really mess up the timing in some of the instrument tracks I've already written (I've tried-maybe I'm just not applying it correctly). In any event, I'd appreciate some feedback or pointers from others who've been able to get this to work if there are any.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:30 pm
I'm working on a track that is mainly in 4/4 time, but there are a couple of instances where samples do not fit nicely in 4/4 but rather 3/4 because of their length. The samples are isolated, so the easiest thing to do in theory is drop to 3/4 on just those sections, but I don't see an easy way of doing this mid-track in LMMS. Is this even possible? I could change the time sig to something divisible by both 4/4 and 3/4, but that would really mess up the timing in some of the instrument tracks I've already written (I've tried-maybe I'm just not applying it correctly). In any event, I'd appreciate some feedback or pointers from others who've been able to get this to work if there are any.
Timesignature is really only there for the composer.
Changing TS dos nothing to the track.
You can simply change TS as you like. It looks wrong in other TS, but the song in not changed
I made a vid some time back that addressed this: https://youtu.be/24iarkQyQ_8
musikbear wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
You can simply change TS as you like. It looks wrong in other TS, but the song in not changed
I made a vid some time back that addressed this: https://youtu.be/24iarkQyQ_8
Thanks Bear; this is what I ended up doing already this morning after having an "oh, DUH!" moment. My sample lasted a measure and a half in 4/4 and gave me half a bar of silence that sort of messed up the feel of the overall track. So, I just changed the global time sig to 2/4.
This made the sample an even three bars and allowed me to pull in everything following by one bar so there was no gap. It sounds a lot tighter now because there isn't any time left hanging.
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 pm
musikbear wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm
Mr. Lumbergh wrote:
I made a vid some time back that addressed this:
Thanks Bear; this is what I ended up doing already this morning after having an "oh, DUH!" moment. My sample lasted a measure and a half in 4/4 and gave me half a bar of silence that sort of messed up the feel of the overall track. So, I just changed the global time sig to 2/4.
This made the sample an even three bars and allowed me to pull in everything following by one bar so there was no gap. It sounds a lot tighter now because there isn't any time left hanging.
Good to hear you got through. Nice.