milliseconds values of volume envelope?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm trying to determine precise millisecond values for instruments' volume envelope knob values. For example, the release knob can take a value between 0 and 2. Zero is easy to calculate, however, at the other end, I hoped a value of 2 would equal two seconds, but after trying it out, it's much, much longer than two seconds. What unit do those knob values correspond to? Is there a simple way to calculate the number of milliseconds a knob value correspond to?
spider-worm wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:59 am
I'm trying to determine precise millisecond values for instruments' volume envelope knob values.
By chance i was working on that code yesterday :p. All dials has their own increment factor
For envelope-release it is 0.001 -one ms
But how to measure that..?
First A Pure release would a span from a < 1. ms initiation event and a measurement of the existence of audible output, over the span of 2 secd.
That is only possible with some serious lab equipment.
But..
Secondly At what volume?
The decrease in output would be depending of volume, waveshape, overtones, and and and....
Only a sine signal at a fixed volume-testmark, would make sense
I dont think you need to have these things 'dialled in' as known values of ms. It more about using what sounds 'good'