How do you keep your songs simple?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
My main genre is progressive house and I'm still learning but my biggest hurdle right now is deciding what the song needs and what it doesn't need. I've noticed that when I listen to my finished tracks there's a ton of stuff that doesn't really need to be in there and it makes the mix sound way too busy.

So, how do you keep it simple and decide what a song needs?
Just to clarify, my version of keeping it simple means that the structure of the song is done before the sfx and other sounds are there.

For example, sometimes i grab a kick and work on that, or a chord and a melody and put in 8 blocks, 16 if I feel like it.

The point is, if you put too much from the get go, you won't know what's wrong in the first place, so "keep it simple" from the beginning so you won't get lost.
gibson87 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:21 pm
My main genre is progressive house and I'm still learning but my biggest hurdle right now is deciding what the song needs and what it doesn't need. I've noticed that when I listen to my finished tracks there's a ton of stuff that doesn't really need to be in there and it makes the mix sound way too busy.

Good advice from Jaknife
I just would add that before you have a great melody, no effects should be added at all.
Most great composer only uses a grand-piano, and everything else comes after the good melody has been created

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome gibson87 !
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
gibson87 wrote:

I am still learning as well. In fact, my songs might be too simple. To find a balance, start small, and build the song, gradually making it more complex. Then eventually you will know when to stop adding stuff. This is my formula:
1. Create a simple melody in my head (for the chorus).
2. Put the melody in LMMS, using an instrument that sounds closest to the instrument in my head.
3. When making a song in my head, i usually have a beat in my head as well. So I find the drums, hats, claps etc, that sound closest to the ones in my head, and place them in the beat editor, in the way it sounds in my head.
4. That Beat + Chorus melody is my foundation. I build the song further from there.
5. Then I create my verses, and my pre-choruses, and my bridge.
6. I like when a song starts simple, and slowly becomes more complex. So my first verse, first prechorus, and first chorus must be the simplest. My second verse, second prechorus, and second chorus, must be a little more complex. My bridge can either be complex, or simple, depending on the song. If the bridge is simple, then the final chorus is usually the most complex part of the song (I want the ending of the song to sound epic). But if the bridge is complex and epic, then I usually make the final chorus simple, to bring the song back down.

So I would say, that you can make your songs simpler, by only making them complex, where they need to be. Also, complexity can be a good thing. As long as the melodies go well together, you use the right effects, and your beat is in sync with the melody, then complexity can be a good thing. Also, repetition can help make your song simpler. Too much repetition can make the song boring. But a little can add some simplicity, and make it easier to hum along with.
gibson87 wrote:

Start with your favourite best melody, and then figure out the rest of the track from there.

PS: The guys above gave some good advice too. Feel free to check it out.