Phones for mixing vs. listening ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
About Sennheiser HD280PRO:
https://techheadphones.com/best-headphones-for-mixing/
Ideals for mixing and professional use, not for listening to music.
I don't understand. A sentence like that is just nonsense to me.

How can it be that for mixing different headphones are more okay than just for listening and vice versa, when regarding the sound quality of them only?
There are two types of speakers and headphones.

One is for listening to music, the other type is for mixing music like we do in LMMS.

For mixing you want a headphone ( or speakers ) that do not colour the sound.

Most speakers and headphones you buy in stores do colour the sound. One example is that they often boost the bass.

The headphones and speakers meant for mixing are called studio monitors.
Does this mean that you ideally need two head phones, or two sets of speakers ? yes.

One pair of studio headphones for mixing and one pair of headphones for listening.

If you don't have the money or don't want to buy two pairs, you can off course only buy one.

I have a Sennhieser GSP 300. This is not a headphone meant for mixing. :)

A more technical explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aQKZBgqKWo
About best earphones for oneplus 5
https://headphonesay.com/best-earphones ... martphone/
Ideal for connecting with 3.5mm jack and professional use,
I do not understand. A sentence like that just makes no sense to me.

How is it better to combine different headphones than just to listen and vice versa, when only their sound quality is concerned?
The thing about music is that:
a) Different listeners will listen on different devices, and
b) Different listening devices not only give different sound quality, but some colour sound and give more bass (bass boost headsets). Some give more midrange treble and cut out the low end almost completely (cellphone speakers). Some give most of the midrange but an obviously cut-off high-end and a lack of energy in the mix (smartphone speakers).
In fact, even your computer speakers may have coloured audio; ie, they will not give you untouched audio as it is, but will give you a slightly varied audio spectrum gain.
Best mixing practice involves listening to your music through multiple speaker devices, because they each highlight different parts of any audio chucked into them. This allows for mixing that sounds wholesome and fulfilling, and not just on the bass boost headset you got a few weeks back, but on most devices. It also helps easily tell if there is even a minor issue in the audio that may otherwise go unnoticed- again, because it highlights different parts of the audio.
The interesting thing that I learned over the years, is that even expensive headphones are guilty of colouring sound. Wow! :P
brandystarbrite wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:59 am
The interesting thing that I learned over the years, is that even expensive headphones are guilty of colouring sound. Wow! :P
Yes. That's the problem: you have to search specifically for a headset that won't colour sound. Those ones which specify it usually come at exorbitant rates. There may be a cheap-ish one that doesn't colour, but you'll never find it, because most others in its price range will colour, whether or not they mention it.
Most earphones, for instance, have "Big Bass" written on it. Then you realise they're colouring- bass boosting- the noise.
That's were the word studio monitor, or studio headset comes in.
Those should not color the sound.

I do not know though, how much of this is marketing and how much of this is actual true.

You always learn new words. When looking a studio monitors, I also saw the name near field monitors.
Speakers made to be relative close to your ear.

https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/types- ... udios.html
Monitors will sound different depending on your listening distance. Because of this, most monitors are designed to be used as either near-field or far-field monitors. There are certain benefits to using each in your home studio.
We want the near field ones. Or maybe both if your studio is big, and so is your budget.
I have seen far field monitors of 12.000 euro, a piece.

To some extent its simple, if your budget is 100 euro or less, a good headphone or headset is the best option, speakers not so much.My Sennheiser headset was 80 euro.

For around 450 euro, you can have good speakers, 160 euro a piece, a DAC 100 euro, and cables.
(DAC, digital audio converter that bypasses the onboard sound (dac) of the motherboard in your pc, this should produce a better sound.)

If you get active studio monitors, you can leave out the Dac to safe some bucks.
I was advised to not do this, but you can buy cables, so you can hook those active monitors directly to your pc.
Then your motherboard will still produce the sound.

Me also being a motorcycle fan, it always makes me smile to see the name Yamaha with studio gear.
One company that makes, Motorcycles, Piano's, Synthesizers and speakers.
For those that had not noticed, the Yamaha logo are three tuning forks.

https://motosymbol.com/yamaha-logo/
Wow! That is a good observation there Gps.