How to avoid loudness penalising?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hey all, I created a new beat that is really cool with the 808 and kick I have now, but when I test it on https://www.loudnesspenalty.com (corresponding on how it will sound on YouTube etc.) the 808 and kicks do not really kick in (literally and figurally) because the loudness is limited.

I have tried using LoudMax and a loudness meter to mix it well to get the unique sound, have a good 808 and kick and to be in the right loudness range, but I find it hard to get the desired result. How do you deal with it? What do you do?

Thanks!
augusts99 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 pm
I have tried using LoudMax and a loudness meter to mix it well to get the unique sound, have a good 808 and kick and to be in the right loudness range, but I find it hard to get the desired result. How do you deal with it? What do you do?
That is an interesting site!
Meigh add it to useful-resources.
The text states that the penalty is for excessive loudness. Often i believe that many are aiming for near-to-clipping loudness in the mix. That is not the best approach, imo .
Instead it is a balanced mix, that is the best to aim. Near clip or even clips should only be singularity effects, again imo. If you mix balanced with maximal-loudness around 70%, then the penalty should be minimal.
The listener can crank the amp up on his system, in order to get earthquake output. You should not aim for that, in your mix.
musikbear wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:05 pm
augusts99 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:00 pm
That is an interesting site!
Meigh add it to useful-resources.
The text states that the penalty is for excessive loudness. Often i believe that many are aiming for near-to-clipping loudness in the mix. That is not the best approach, imo .
Instead it is a balanced mix, that is the best to aim. Near clip or even clips should only be singularity effects, again imo. If you mix balanced with maximal-loudness around 70%, then the penalty should be minimal.
The listener can crank the amp up on his system, in order to get earthquake output. You should not aim for that, in your mix.
Makes sense. Thank you!
Have you actually tried uploading the mix on Youtube itself?

I find that uploading to Youtube or Soundcloud is the best way to know if it sounds good or not.

Just put a limiter or a soft clipper and it should be fine.