"Real" music project - choir recording

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
On another forum there is discussion of a lockdown initiated possible choir recording project. LMMS has been suggested as a possible tool.

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthread.p ... a-beginner

To me it looks as though LMMS is mostly aimed at "synthetic" music - based on samples and synthesisers, but it can be used to do audio as well.

I've not managed to get it working extremely well, but I have managed to do some audio mixing. As I have been testing on Macs, and don't have the very latest versions of LMMS, I'm not sure that my comments are fully up to date.

One issue I found with LMMS is that it doesn't seem easy to trim audio samples for inclusion in the Song editor, nor to get very accurate timing, which might be necessary for the particular choir project. The Audio processor is interesting, but doesn't seem quite the right tool for the job. I'm not sure whether Audacity has a working mixer, though.

It does - see https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mixer_board.html

I did manage to get smallish time fillers by changing the music time signature to around 1000 beats per minute, but that still means that two tracks which are one beat apart are separate by 60 milliseconds - though that can give a quite pleasant echo/resonance effect. Smaller fillers are needed for synchronising tracks from live performances - so maybe that means correcting all the external discrepancies in an external audio editor, such as Audacity. However, in that case, why not just use Audacity to do the whole job?

If anyone here has suggestions as to how LMMS could be used in a better way for this particular application, or for improvements to LMMS to make it easier, it would be interesting to hear about them.
dave2002-lmms wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 pm
If anyone here has suggestions as to how LMMS could be used in a better way for this particular application, or for improvements to LMMS to make it easier, it would be interesting to hear about them.
Topic has been moved to production help. :)