What is gain staging?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I got a feedback on my song in Newgrounds:
Nice, the arpeggio give me 2000s electronic dance vibes. I liked how punchy the drums were as well. I think some stuff you could work on for future songs is gain staging and changing the tuning for drums slightly to be more in the key of the music, if you're already trying to do this then you can ignore that bit. Great work either way.

--Dadush (dadush.newgrounds.com)
My song has bigger dynamic range, some unecessary loud volume of some instruments, and a few clippings. I think that was the reason why he suggested gain staging? But I dont know what is gain staging. I did some research but I barely understand some things.

How do you do gain staging in LMMS? What do you do to the fx channels and/or effects?
vortexsupernova wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:49 am
I got a feedback on my song in Newgrounds:
Nice, the arpeggio give me 2000s electronic dance vibes. I liked how punchy the drums were as well. I think some stuff you could work on for future songs is gain staging and changing the tuning for drums slightly to be more in the key of the music, if you're already trying to do this then you can ignore that bit. Great work either way.

--Dadush (dadush.newgrounds.com)
My song has bigger dynamic range, some unecessary loud volume of some instruments, and a few clippings. I think that was the reason why he suggested gain staging? But I dont know what is gain staging. I did some research but I barely understand some things.

How do you do gain staging in LMMS? What do you do to the fx channels and/or effects?
Great article about gain staging https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/gain-s ... do-it.html

I'd say make your loudest instrument (drums most of the time) to a certain level of volume (at least -3db or louder) and match other instrument's volume to that by ears - not too loud, not too quiet. Depends a lot on the genre of course.
scratchmatch wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:38 am
Great article about gain staging https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/gain-s ... do-it.html

I'd say make your loudest instrument (drums most of the time) to a certain level of volume (at least -3db or louder) and match other instrument's volume to that by ears - not too loud, not too quiet. Depends a lot on the genre of course.
Thank you, it helps a lot :)
Gain staging? Wow! I haven't heard that term in a long time. :)