What is the best OS to record midi from my keyboard?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I have never recorded midi from my keyboard with LMMS and am a bit apprehensive to begin. In Reaper, I found ASIO4ALL worked quite well with my setup (Windows 10 / Pentium i3, 8 Gb ram).

I am working on a project using LMMS-only plugins, so should be able to do this in Windows 10 or Bodhi LInux (my current Linux OS).

Which OS would give me the least amount of latency while recording midi?

Thanks in advance... 😇
newsguy wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:43 am
I have never recorded midi from my keyboard with LMMS and am a bit apprehensive to begin. In Reaper, I found ASIO4ALL worked quite well with my setup (Windows 10 / Pentium i3, 8 Gb ram).
I am working on a project using LMMS-only plugins, so should be able to do this in Windows 10 or Bodhi lInux (my current Linux OS).
Which OS would give me the least amount of latency while recording midi?
No reason at all to be apprehensive.
'Recording' or rather capturing MIDI-notes, works perfectly in both linux and windows. I have no idea about MAC.
Read https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Pi ... .26_Record
That should be enough.
Thank you so much for the encouragement and helpful link. That's just me... with a lot of new software I initially feel a bit overwhelmed and then more confident once I get it "down." :D
SO I can capture midi but am having difficulty capturing the pitch bend wheel while capturing midi. Maybe a hardware issue. But I ask here, is there anything I am missing? I tried "Connect to Controller..." with Triple Oscillator.

Again, I am capturing notes but not my pitch wheel activity.

Thanks,

Casio CTK-3200
Win 10 64

Edit - I can hear the pitch bends as I play them in LMMS. But the automation curve is not being captured. So I am thinking it is just a setting I have wrong?
newsguy wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:39 am
SO I can capture midi but am having difficulty capturing the pitch bend wheel while capturing midi. Maybe a hardware issue. But I ask here, is there anything I am missing? I tried "Connect to Controller..." with Triple Oscillator.

Again, I am capturing notes but not my pitch wheel activity.

Thanks,

Casio CTK-3200
Win 10 64

Edit - I can hear the pitch bends as I play them in LMMS. But the automation curve is not being captured. So I am thinking it is just a setting I have wrong?
Maby you can bind your wheel as described in this guide:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Us ... oard-wheel
Does it work?
Thank you for the link. Nice to see it clearly. I tried both methods. The one you mention here and also right-clicking on the LMMS GUI pitch slider. With both, I get a performance response but no capture. When I Auto Detect by moving the pitch wheel it does not enter numerical values for channel and controller. So I put the values in manually as in the Wiki. Still no luck. It does automatically recognize CASIO USB-MIDI. So maybe because it is a "low-end" instrument more for kids, that it does not fully work---i.e. hardware incompatibility.

I also have a Yamaha keyboard downstairs but it is longer, so it might be difficult testing it out in my bedroom! But if i get a chance, i will certainly report results here.

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this. I see GREAT THINGS for LMMS in the very near future. :) :mrgreen:
newsguy wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:03 pm
Thank you for the link. Nice to see it clearly. I tried both methods. The one you mention here and also right-clicking on the LMMS GUI pitch slider. With both, I get a performance response but no capture. When I Auto Detect by moving the pitch wheel it does not enter numerical values for channel and controller. So I put the values in manually as in the Wiki. Still no luck. It does automatically recognize CASIO USB-MIDI. So maybe because it is a "low-end" instrument more for kids, that it does not fully work---i.e. hardware incompatibility.

I also have a Yamaha keyboard downstairs but it is longer, so it might be difficult testing it out in my bedroom! But if i get a chance, i will certainly report results here.

Thank you so much for all the work you put into this. I see GREAT THINGS for LMMS in the very near future. :) :mrgreen:
I had hoped for better result. We need to look at better support for pitch-wheel connection
For now, I am using samples and stem tracks generated in LMMS, importing them into Reaper... flipping back and forth between the two.

I eagerly await the day when the LMMS arp allows for 'swing'---even now it is great because doing arps in megababy (Reaper plugin) cannot allow for the timing offset which LMMS provides.

Thanks again. ;)
musikbear wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:26 pm
I had hoped for better result. We need to look at better support for pitch-wheel connection
Okay, I just got recording automation working with my Casio CTK-3200 on Win 10 64. I think I just didn't know what the heck I was doing. This time I made sure the automation track was fully dragged to the right of the song editor (to make lots of room for recording) and also turned "recording on" in the automation track so it had that red mark. I don't think I turned "recording on" the first time I tried this. And maybe I just ctrl + dragged the mouse over the instrument pitch knob and didn't properly ctrl + drag and drop into the automation track (I'm not sure).

As I just said in another post, I'm *really slow* at the beginning of a new DAW and then after getting over a certain "hump," become fairly good at it. I think I just got over my "hump" with LMMS and am really looking forward to making cool, free beats with it!

Thanks again for giving this old boy some new life! 🤣