How do you choose a synthesizer?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Trivially you can count the oscillators, turn a switch and listen to the sounds with the keyboard. Why would you use Triple Oscillator instead of Organic when Organic has more oscillators?

OpulenZ is an emulation of the Yamaha YM3812, a.k.a OPL2, FM synth chip. What does it mean to emulate a chip?
Oflameo wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:14 pm
Trivially you can count the oscillators, turn a switch and listen to the sounds with the keyboard. Why would you use Triple Oscillator instead of Organic when Organic has more oscillators?
Triple Oscillator (3OSC) gives you access to all the standard wave-shapes.
Organic is meant for organ-emulation* and only uses sine-waves.
So you can get more typical instrument-sounds out of 3OSC, than you can from organic, but if you aim for an organ-sound organic has much more to offer, because of multiple sines

OpulenZ is an emulation of the Yamaha YM3812, a.k.a OPL2, FM synth chip. What does it mean to emulate a chip?
To emulate means to 'make-similar' but with different tech.
The famous 70 and 80 synths, was depending on special hardware -A chip, and is know as HW-synths
Those we have in LMMS are software-synths, that aims at a similar output with SW-code, as the classical HW-synths, and output from those are called 'emulated' sounds. an attempt to 'copy' the special sound from a HW-chip.
Let's say I wanted to make a chiptune that sounds like it was made on a amd64 architecture desktop computer made this year, what synthesizer would I use?
Nescaline ?
I'll try asking it in a different way. Why is Triple Oscillator the first thing on the song editor when you open LMMS?
Oflameo wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:54 am
Why is Triple Oscillator the first thing on the song editor when you open LMMS?
Is industry standard. I believe all DAWs has a 3OSC as default generator.
You can change that.
Insert anything you want, then in File| save-as-template, select save-as-default-template
That setup will be what lmms will open with.
Interesting! Is there a name for music produced from only 3OSC instruments?
Oflameo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:43 pm
Interesting! Is there a name for music produced from only 3OSC instruments?
I dont know if there is a name, but there are contests for making whole tracks with everything, with only a 3OSC. You can 1000'thds of showcases where skilled engineers publish their best tracks, made this way.
One exampl.
Lmms' Triple Oscillator is really good though. Even slipstick himself admitted, that he found it was better, than the one found in FL Studio. The sounds you can make with it, especially bass sounds, sound really deep and epic. And this is something I noticed from using it for years. 8-)
Simplicity. 3O makes it easy for you to quickly synth the type of sound you want with minimal knowledge. I say this as someone who uses 3O to quickly synth the types of sound I want with minimal knowledge.