Recommended amount of sidechaining to be done

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
How much sidechain is too much sidechain? After which point would it be considered I am overusing sidechaining? Which are the best places to apply sidechain in a track?
Monospace wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:51 pm
How much sidechain is too much sidechain? After which point would it be considered I am overusing sidechaining? Which are the best places to apply sidechain in a track?
That cant be answered. SC is used in any and all variations from 10-100 percent, so simply an individual choice from the engineer/ producer,
That said, 100% would impv be too much
It depends on the track you are making, and how you want it to sound too.
Hard to answer this question dude. Too much is when your kick and the stuff you wanna be sidechained arent balanced anymore. When you can notice it too much. Listen to your mix a few days later from a simple auditor point of view, and find if it sounds weird or simply bad, or not.. Have you tried dedicated sidechain compression plugins that could help you with it ?
Normally you will use sidechaining on a kick sound and kick beat, especially if it is being played together with a bass melody, or clashing together with a bass melody.
Thanks for the tip, Brandy!
No, Res, I haven't used dedicated sidechain plugins.
Monospace wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:30 am
-
Are you familiar with the way sidechaining is done in FLs?
They just draw it, in the envelope!
There are plugins for that too. BigDippa is one, but several others exists
Interesting. will look into it.
BigDIppa? Dude, this is the first time I'm hearing about that plugin. :D