How to pick the right tempo and quantization for a project ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hello !

Do you have any tips to pick the right tempo setting for a project ?
I want to record something I composed on the piano (with a midi keyboard) and I have trouble because it starts slow and gets faster at times so the tempo is not the same during the whole song. Also when I use LMMS's metronome (or any metronome really) it distracts me more than anything and I can't play right.

And what would you advise me to do with the "quantization" setting of the recording (grid size with 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...) ? Should I just pick the smallest to have maximum precision and increase it little by little ?
Steven wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:16 pm
Do you have any tips for setting the right tempo for a project ?
When you have a piece of music already, then you count the beat.
You use a beat-counter, we have linked to one of the best in "useful resources", but there are many online.
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
Counting is the same as tapping your foot, as you listen to music.
To you press a key as if you were tapping with your foot.
Do it several times, and when you get consistent result, you know the BPM.
Any multiplum of that, will also work.
what would you advise me to do with the "quantization" setting of the recording
If you insert notes with mouse, the default 1/16 works well, but if you play simultaneous, you should use max, because you want to capture the exact way you play
musikbear wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:32 pm
Steven wrote:
Do you have any tips for setting the right tempo for a project ?
When you have a piece of music already, then you count the beat.
You use a beat-counter, we have linked to one of the best in "useful resources", but there are many online.
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
Counting is the same as tapping your foot, as you listen to music.
To you press a key as if you were tapping with your foot.
Do it several times, and when you get consistent result, you know the BPM.
Any multiplum of that, will also work.
what would you advise me to do with the "quantization" setting of the recording
If you insert notes with mouse, the default 1/16 works well, but if you play simultaneous, you should use max, because you want to capture the exact way you play
Thanks a lot musikBear that's exactly the kind of resource and advice I needed ! Have a great day !
Steven wrote:
Hello !

Do you have any tips to pick the right tempo setting for a project ?
I want to record something I composed on the piano (with a midi keyboard) and I have trouble because it starts slow and gets faster at times so the tempo is not the same during the whole song. Also when I use LMMS's metronome (or any metronome really) it distracts me more than anything and I can't play right.

And what would you advise me to do with the "quantization" setting of the recording (grid size with 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, etc...) ? Should I just pick the smallest to have maximum precision and increase it little by little ?
Hi,
When it comes to selecting the right tempo setting for your project, try to find a tempo that feels comfortable for the majority of your piece. You can adjust the tempo gradually to accommodate changes in speed, or you can use tempo automation to create specific changes at certain points in the song. As for quantization, start with a smaller grid size (like 1/16) for maximum precision and adjust as needed based on the complexity and feel of your composition. Gradually increase the grid size if you find that smaller divisions are too restrictive.