Generative music in LMMS?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm looking to tip my toes into making some generative music. For anyone unfamiliar with the term, it is basically music generated by a system (e.g. computer program), where the "composer's" role is to control the parameters that specify the rules by which the system creates music, instead of laying out specific elements of the composition.

Specifically, I was thinking of trying something like what Brian Eno is doing in this interview around the 14 minute mark, where he modifies a drum loop by dropping a certain percentage of notes randomly each time it plays. Btw, the whole interview is worth watching if you're interested in this sort of stuff, Eno is such a brilliant and charismatic guy!

How would you go about achieving something like this in LMMS? Is there perhaps a (preferably free) plugin that could mute notes randomly? I guess any synth with a random number generator would get me started, but ideally I'd like to find something with a bit more control and flexibility. I'm also open to non-LMMS solutions if anyone has suggestions.
First off, Welcome to the Forum SignalsInNoise !
Here are all important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions
If you like to introduce yourself, to the community, go here:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4480
SignalsInNoise wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:31 pm
I'm looking to tip my toes into making some generative music. For anyone unfamiliar with the term, it is basically music generated by a system (e.g. computer program), where the "composer's" role is to control the parameters that specify the rules by which the system creates music, instead of laying out specific elements of the composition.

Specifically, I was thinking of trying something like what Brian Eno is doing in this interview around the 14 minute mark, where he modifies a drum loop by dropping a certain percentage of notes randomly each time it plays. Btw, the whole interview is worth watching if you're interested in this sort of stuff, Eno is such a brilliant and charismatic guy!

How would you go about achieving something like this in LMMS? Is there perhaps a (preferably free) plugin that could mute notes randomly? I guess any synth with a random number generator would get me started, but ideally I'd like to find something with a bit more control and flexibility. I'm also open to non-LMMS solutions if anyone has suggestions.
Since you are a programmer.. UhOh.. This project needs programmers
https://github.com/LMMS/lmms/wiki
🤣¨
(sorry)
-your choices are either using the source-code (linked) and write a module that extends LMMS, or to study the XML-structure in MMP-files, and make a program that will add notes controlled by your heuristics.
Both would work.
Extending LMMS needs insight in C++17 & maybe QT5 for UI.
Appending MMP can be done in every language, that has file-handling
Haha, I see :D Unfortunately my programming background is more in statistical programming, not much experience in software development. But modifying the MMP-file sounds like something I might be capable of doing, perhaps I'll look into that.
That whole generative music thing is an interesting idea. :)
brandystarbrite wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:57 am
That whole generative music thing is an interesting idea. :)
It is certainly fascinating! I've been having this discussion in a couple of places around the internet, and here are some things that have come up, for anyone interested:

There are some ready-made plugins capable of doing generative stuff, but I haven't tested yet how they integrate with LMMS (or any other DAW, for that matter).

On freesound.org forums, I got a tip for transition, which looks particularly easy to get started with. If anyone wants to try that and report back if it works, feel free! I'll probably do that myself at some point, but currently I'm having too much fun with other projects to take the time to get started :D

A lot of people have recommended modular synthesis for generative music. There's a free standalone software called VCV Rack for a software emulation of that, but the learning curve looks a bit more daunting.

Then there are various musical programming languages, including Pure Data, Sonic Pi and ChucK, that could certainly get the job done, for those looking for maximum control and willing to put in the work.

One thing that I think would improve LMMS in general, that would also make at least some rudimentary generative stuff possible, would be a random-controller that you could add to control rack and link to various knobs. I imagine this would not be too hard to implement either given the existing infrastructure for LFOs. This is of course just a suggestion for the future, not a complaint or anything like that :)

A round-about way of doing this that I just thought of with current LMMS and a bit of outside help would be to get a synth that has a random-generator (e.g. my favorite free plugin Vital), having it play some notes with random volume but not sending it to master, and then adding a peak controller to it. The peak controller could then be linked to whatever knob you want to randomize... I think I'm gonna go test this right away :D
Interesting points.

Also, I checked out the link. That site is really interesting. I'll check it out fully tomorrow. :)