DIY mastering on Mac

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
As far as I understand, there is no support for adding to the effects available to tracks via the "effects chain".

So, it would appear I'm stuck with LMMS factory effects for mastering.

I've had some success with boosting levels using the Calf Compressor LADSPA + Calf Limiter LADSPA. But nowhere near what I'm hoping for to match commercial recordings.

Anyone have any advice I can try? Thanks in advance.
(I'm still a bit of a noob with compressors/limiters)
Taro wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:13 pm
As far as I understand, there is no support for adding to the effects available to tracks via the "effects chain".

So, it would appear I'm stuck with LMMS factory effects for mastering.

I've had some success with boosting levels using the Calf Compressor LADSPA + Calf Limiter LADSPA. But nowhere near what I'm hoping for to match commercial recordings.

Anyone have any advice I can try? Thanks in advance.
(I'm still a bit of a noob with compressors/limiters)
MAC features are limited in general. We cant support VST on MAC, but you could be able to find more LADSPA effects online, and those ought to be useable, also on MAC.
Unfortunately i cant aid you in MAC specifics. I do not own a MAC.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:19 pm
MAC features are limited in general. We cant support VST on MAC, but you could be able to find more LADSPA effects online, and those ought to be useable, also on MAC.
Thanks for the help. But how do I add more LADSPA effects to LMMS?
I've not used lmms on mac yet. But since you are mastering, you might want to use an equalizer, on either the kick sound or bass sound. Hopefully, some of the equalizers that come with lmms, work in mac as it does in windows. Good luck. :)
Taro wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 am
Firstly you need to find some online ofcause. If you do find any, copy the dll into the LADSPA-directory of LMMS
for windows default it is:
<install-path>/ LMMS\plugins\ladspa
..I have NO idea how paths looks on a MAC -Sorry :|
-Then start lmms.
The new ladspa-plugin should be available when you op en FX-tab
musikbear wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:42 pm
Firstly you need to find some online ofcause. If you do find any, copy the dll into the LADSPA-directory of LMMS
for windows default it is:
<install-path>/ LMMS\plugins\ladspa
..I have NO idea how paths looks on a MAC -Sorry :|
-Then start lmms.
The new ladspa-plugin should be available when you op en FX-tab
Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll find the directory. It should contain all the pre-installed effects, I think.

brandystarbrite wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:45 am
I've not used lmms on mac yet. But since you are mastering, you might want to use an equalizer, on either the kick sound or bass sound. Hopefully, some of the equalizers that come with lmms, work in mac as it does in windows. Good luck. :)
Thanks. Yes, the equalizer works pretty nicely. I've put a high-pass on everything but the bass and kick. Kick and bass have their own too. Worked out well.
That is very good to hear Taro. Nice.
Taro wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:25 am
musikbear wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:19 pm
I am on Linux, and I find more LV2 plugins in the repositories of my Distro ( openSUSE)
Stonepahaser to name one.

Google should help.

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/lv2plugin.php
brandystarbrite wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:17 am
That is very good to hear Taro. Nice.
:)

Gps wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:28 am
I am on Linux, and I find more LV2 plugins in the repositories of my Distro ( openSUSE)
Stonepahaser to name one.

Google should help.

https://www.multitrackstudio.com/lv2plugin.php
Thanks. I'll probably look into LV2's at some point but I think I can only use them with Carla Rack and right now I'm looking for dynamics processors I can put on a Sample-track.
Dynamic processors? Interesting. Okay cool.