Copying And Pasting Beats and Bass

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
How can one copy a pattern of beats?

For instance, I write out one bar with three instruments: One kick, a snare, and a high hat.

I then use the Green plus arrow to add another 4/4 measure.

So how do I copy the pattern I have already composed in the first measure and then pasted it in the second measure?

If I put my mouse over a pattern and then right click, I see a menu with a copy function.

but if i click copy and then move the mouse over where I want the patter to copy TO, and click paste, nothing happens.

Do I have to go into PIANO ROLL and do copy and paste that way? if so, why is there a copy and paste listed in the menu when you right click?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you need to use piano-roll
The context-meny 'copy' is an feature yet not implemented :p

But you can do something else
In song-editor, you can take a whole beat&bassLINE, and that one can be cloned, (cogwheel-context-menu)
you will have 2 identical lines, and then you can make subtle changes in one of them, and rename that one

Those are afaik the two workflows possible
Thank you.

Is it a bad idea for me to use a track ball (instead of a mouse with a wheel)? It looks like the mouse wheel helps to control volume as well.

Thanks again.
i have no knowledge of how a trackball works in lmms, maybe someone else will chime in :)
I was wondering this myself. In LMMS V1.2.1, it seems I can:
  • Enter Draw Mode
  • Hold Down the Control Key
  • Click on a "Block" in the Song Editor to turn the pointer to a grabbing hand
  • Drag that hand somewhere else on the Song Editor
  • Release the Control Key
And then I have a deep copy of the original "Block". By deep copy I mean that changes to a copied block will not affect any other "related" parent or children "Blocks".

This is easier for me than copying and pasting from the Piano Roll window.
shawn.eary wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:03 am
I was wondering this myself. In LMMS V1.2.1, it seems I can:
  • Enter Draw Mode
  • Hold Down the Control Key
  • Click on a "Block" in the Song Editor to turn the pointer to a grabbing hand
  • Drag that hand somewhere else on the Song Editor
  • Release the Control Key
And then I have a deep copy of the original "Block". By deep copy I mean that changes to a copied block will not affect any other "related" parent or children "Blocks".

This is easier for me than copying and pasting from the Piano Roll window.
Yes everything is correct
However Beat&bass-segments -And those were what the oop asked about, can simply be elongated, and a new will be created anywhere you click on that track, so those you never copy

Besides that, since you are new in Forum
Welcome shawn.eary!
Here are all important links:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
-A few rules and useful forum instructions