Hardware recommendations for a newbie?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hi, I am about to explore the world of DAW-based music composing and recording and I discovered LMMS recently as a supposedly great tool for these tasks. Being an armchair guitarist I aim to jot down some ideas only and spice them up with drums, keys etc - no serious demo making or professional sound engineering is in sight for me:)
I am more or less aware of the limitations of my current PC, a Windows 7 powered Dell laptop - could you guys with more experience check out the configuration and suggest on any changes to secure LMMS will work and music editing won't be a series of freezes and restarts? Any thought is absolutely welcome:)

Model: Dell Latitude E6420

Specs:
RAM: 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM / 1333 MHz
CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M@2.50 GHz, 64-Bit
HDD: 320 GB
Sound card: Intel onboard card

Essentially, is my laptop powerful enough to cope with the requirements of LMMS? And another thing: until I do not plan to plug my guitar can I use the onboard sound card with the latest ASIO drivers for creating tracks from what I find inside LMMS? I plan to buy a USB audio interface later but for the time being I just want to get familiar with the software and its capabilities. Thanks a lot in advance for your replies.
Yes, the hardware is just fine.
C_H wrote:Yes, the hardware is just fine.
yes!
can I use the onboard sound card with the latest ASIO drivers for creating tracks from what I find inside LMMS
Thats a different story. We do not have native ASIO support in lmms' libportaudio. You need to use the ASIO4ALL libportaudio2.dll, if you do not have that, i believe i can find a link to it.
Otherwise, you should, as windows user, use SDL, but ASIO4ALL should also be runnable on your labtop - i hope

-And welcome to the community!
Awesome, thank you both for the support.
This is the audio gear, I use with my computer.

Sound Blaster X Fi Titanium Pro Audio PCI sound card.

Yamaha YHT-791 7.1 surround sound system
Changed the sub-woofer the Yamaha had little response above 50hz,and not good response below 30hz. It was great for making a thumping sound. I rather have true bass tones.

I use studio reference headphones for sound mixing.

For live recording with Audacity
Allen & Heath zed10fx mixer with 2 Spark Studio Level 3 Microphone's plugged in via usb.

And my piano
Yamaha YPG-525 88-key Portable Grand
Akai MPD26 performance pad controller for my percussion instruments.