Percussion totorial ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Nice find.
Thanks for posting that video Gps.......Mr. Barry.
K good. You have something that fits you. I hope all the advice that we and that video have given helps!
I does. :)

For most of what I learned the last two years, I have this forum to thank for.
Gps wrote:I does. :)

For most of what I learned the last two years, I have this forum to thank for.
That's very nice.
Glad we could help.
2 thumbs up! :D
dude you don't need a tutorial, just listen to a lot of percussion heavy music and you'll subconsciously know what's right
For now when I hear percussion, I fail to reproduce it in lmms. :)

never give up never surrender though.
don't reproduce what you hear, use it as inspiration for your own concoction
I believe that is what he is doing now. I gave him an example and that helped (I hope).
Not sure if I can get this across with just text.

My biggest problem with lmms has everything to do, with me never seriously learning to play any instrument. Furthermore when we did have music lessons at school, I was not interested. ( I had not forgotten all though. which did help when learning to read sheet-music.)

A simple example, only now I start to develop some feel for how long a note lasts. So that if I hear a melody I can imagine how that will look in lmms.

Drums and percussion is the next challenge.

I need to get a feel, or maybe I should call it a connection in my mind, between my ears and lmms.
The connection between music and my ears is already there.

With chords and such I am getting there, but drums is still lagging.

I also need to be more patient with myself.
Although I some what demand this from myself, I can forget becoming as good as john Lord, to name one, in a few years time.
I think you're doing pretty good...and don't forget that lots of famous music stars would probably have no idea how to use LMMS either. They employ session drummers and producers etc to do that sort of thing for them ;).

I'm going to try to tell you how to set up great percussion cus that's one of the areas that I'm worst at. You can either just keep trying stuff to see what it sounds like or one other thing you might try is downloading some midi drum loops and when you find one you like check out what's going on in there.

Is it the timing that you have trouble with i.e. which beats to program the kick, snare, hats, claps etc. on or is it the sounds of the individual instruments ?

Steve