Percussion totorial ?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Thank you,and yes also people outside this board tell me I am getting better,

My biggest problem is in the timing.

I do know for about 30 years that most music is 1,2,3,4.

Applying this though in lmms, and specific with the bbe is for me a huge struggle.

The kick is often at 1, but after this I don't have a clue.
Snare often seems to be in between, if this is the right way to call it.
Also the transitions, I have been looking at drummers , and often they do these one or two extra hits when the music changes or to break a monotone rhythm.

But the timing of those extra hits is very important, to make it sound good, and not like the drummer missed the beat.
In case you haven't already found it this is the site I steal most of my EDM percussion programming ideas from:
http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/
It covers quite few genres in reasonable detail.

But even in 4/4 where the hits go will depend on the type of music. E.g. a standard rock beat is basically hi hat every 1/8th note, snare on 2 & 4 and kick on 1 and 3 and to add a bit of life sometimes make that a double kick on 3. OTOH many EDM tracks use the famous 4 on the floor beat i.e. kick on 1,2,3 &4 with hardly any snare but often claps on 2&4 instead with hi hat on 1/16ths. The permutations are endless. All you can do is keeping playing about and have some fun with it.

Steve
Thank you, this is helping me big time. Added the link to my bookmarks. :)

Edit, I love that site. This solves 90% of my problems. There is even a disco beat. :D
(something I failed at)

And then that jackin house beat omg.

and Organic Tech-House, Dusted Deep House.

You made me very happy. :)

Love that site because its no just about the beats but also on reverb and such.
slipstick wrote:In case you haven't already found it this is the site I steal most of my EDM percussion programming ideas from:
http://www.attackmagazine.com/technique/beat-dissected/
It covers quite few genres in reasonable detail.
Steve
excellent resource !
I will add this to our wiki, in my next visit!
Very good find. slipstick