midi keyboard and recording with "effects"

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hey, question might be stupid 'cause i'm new to this, but: How can i record stuff that i play on my MIDI keyboard (e-mu xboard), but with all kind of effects?
For example, i play something and simultaneously turn pitch knob, so the sound is different and i want this to be recorderd in piano roll, but it isn't. Only notes that I play. I know that I can do something like this by recording normal stuff, then adding automation layer and adding my "pitch knob" to this layer and then playing with it. But I think it's hella faster and more convenient to assign all kind of effects to knobs on my keyboard, and to use them while playing and simultaneously recording it. Is this even possible? I guess not in piano roll, but maybe there is some kind of VST plugin for recording? Or anything? I don't want to switch programs, I like LMMS :)
I use it on Windows 7.
noobnoob wrote:Hey, ..: e i'm new to this
Welcome! These is for you
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&p=15232#p15232

LMMS cant record in real sense.
You can capture keyboard-note-events, as you already have understood, but you can also capture automation!
Right-click an automation-track-block, with a connected dial, and choose 'Record', any manual changes to the bound dial, during play, will be captured in real-time in the automation-block.
musikbear wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:52 am
LMMS cant record in real sense.
You can capture keyboard-note-events, as you already have understood, but you can also capture automation!
Right-click an automation-track-block, with a connected dial, and choose 'Record', any manual changes to the bound dial, during play, will be captured in real-time in the automation-block.
Does this work with version 1.1.3 or only the newer beta version? I am in the middle of deciding what keyboard controller to buy & sussing out how much it will work. I cant stand trying to tweak LMMS knobs live, they are awful, and seem to be logarithmically moving ...ie a little a little, then heaps with little control...Virtually any VST tweaks easier, but LMMS only records via its control knobs. Really hope future versions will have some alternative way of tweaking LMMS knobs...it cant be hard to code some effective. I am hoping the keyboard will clear up this issue....as drawing graphs is one thing, but a real live tweak is hard to beat on certain sounds
Franny23dmt wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:33 pm
Does this work with version 1.1.3 or only the newer beta version?
This has been in since 1.1
"set/clear Rcord"
I cant stand trying to tweak LMMS knobs live, they are awful, and seem to be logarithmically moving
Right-click any dial, and set it to either log or ana. Both is possible with all lmms dials
musikbear wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:57 am
Right-click any dial, and set it to either log or ana. Both is possible with all lmms dials

Oh wow, I feel like such an idiot haha :D thanks.

I got a Novation keyboard, worsk well, though linking control to the higher CC numbers still seems to fail