ambient music melody synth problem

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
How do i create ambient chill synth like these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baKA1B5Ymuo
0:31

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AWIqXzvX-U
0:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jTg-q6Drt0
1:40

Everytime I try to make something like these it just doesn't sound ''Chill/sad'' enough and when i make a melody then it just sound to repetitive and wrong.
Any tips or help :?
I've approved and moved your topic to the correct subforum.
Aphex Twin has at least 20 years experience making music. That helps. How about posting a couple of your efforts together with what you think is wrong with them ?

Probably the main design things for ambient style sounds (though those links were all very different) are layering several sounds (often including string and/or choir pads in the background), long ADSR release times, a little detune on the oscillators to make the sound move, long reverb. Oh and minor chords holding on for ages, often changing only one or two notes at a time not whole chords.

As for better melodies, there are a few compositional tricks to stop them sounding too boring like transposing up an octave (or some other interval) for a while, playing the tune in reverse, playing the same tune at twice or half the speed, adding a completely new sound in unison or octaves etc. But no-one can write your melodies for you. You have to try things and decide what sounds good to you.

Steve
slipstick wrote: Probably the main design things for ambient style sounds (though those links were all very different) are layering several sounds (often including string and/or choir pads in the background), long ADSR release times, a little detune on the oscillators to make the sound move, long reverb. Oh and minor chords holding on for ages, often changing only one or two notes at a time not whole chords.

As for better melodies, there are a few compositional tricks to stop them sounding too boring like transposing up an octave (or some other interval) for a while, playing the tune in reverse, playing the same tune at twice or half the speed, adding a completely new sound in unison or octaves etc. But no-one can write your melodies for you. You have to try things and decide what sounds good to you.

Steve
That's alot of really good advice slipstick.
Even though I know a good bit of that stuff you posted, it was really interesting to read.
Especially the play the tune in reverse part. I never tried that yet. Lol! :mrgreen:

To add onto what slipstick said, don't forget to add a Chorus Flanger, to ambient sounds.
They really make those ambient sounds, sound a bit fatter too. He! He! :)
I am struggling to make good melodies in general myself. The one thing I did learn, is to use longer and shorter notes.
Also just try something and see how it sounds, and or study midi files, of songs you like.
How does such a track look in lmms.

You can't import all midi files in lmms, some work and some don't.