It's a sick growl. How can we synthesize it?

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
farawayinspace wrote:Here are my two attempts with ZASFX.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-rankin-2/growl-demo-zasfx
Not exact by far, but sick growls nonetheless
URNHERLY CERW SER! Those are most excellent!!!!!! Would you mind sharing with us how you made those?
farawayinspace wrote:Here are my two attempts with ZASFX.
https://soundcloud.com/rob-rankin-2/growl-demo-zasfx
Not exact by far, but sick growls nonetheless
URNHERLY CERW SER! Those are most excellent!!!!!! Would you mind sharing with us how you made those?[/quote]

Happy to oblige :) Both growls are based on the youtube tutorials from Seamless R "how to bass" on FM synthesis (like this one). Both growls follow a simple idea of stacking modulators: Osc1 RM-> Osc2 FM/PM -> Osc3, and playing with higher harmonics (20's, 30's, 60's even). You can download and import the Zynaddsubfx parameters from here, just open Zyn and "File"->"open parameters".

Growl 1:
- best played around C3
- the key is to automate the "FM Gain" in lmms: short bursts that span only about a 3/8 notes. Start at zero and rise to ~120, then drop down quickly. The upswing gives the "yea" part of the sound, while the downswing gives the "aye" sound.
- OSC1 (-1 octave, AbsSine wave) Ring Modulates OSC2 (triangle,0 octaves), which FM modulates OSC3 (sine)
- Set the volumnes of OSC1 and OSC2 to 0, so that they only act as modulators on OSC3
- play with harmonics of OSC2: in particular 45-55, 67-73, 86-91. Tweak to your taste, there aren't any rules. See the picture

Growl 2:
- OSC1 (-2 octaves) Ring modulates OSC2 (-1 octaves), which PM modulates OSC3.
- All three oscillators are triangle waves. Set the volumes of OSC1 and OSC2 to 0, so that they only act as modulators on OSC3
- All three oscillators have "volume sensitivity" set to 127 (insensitive), so that Velocity will only affect the intensity of the RM/PM (greater velocity makes a scarier yeaye!)
- The key to the "yeaye" sound is twofold:
-- i) tweak the Amplitude Envelope of the PM modulation so that the attack is slow (36), the decay is slower (50) and the sustain value is about half. Basically the "yee" sound is the uprising PM, the "aye" sound is the decay of the PM to the sustain value.
-- ii) tweak the harmonics of the OSC2 (the PM modulator), In particular, 2,3,4,5, and slightly increase harmonics 28,29,30,31, and 60,61,62,63. Just a titch for taste.
Possibilities are endless, and higher harmonics will change the nature of the growl. Experiment! Happy growling :)
Growl 2:
- OSC1 (-2 octaves) Ring modulates OSC2 (-1 octaves), which PM modulates OSC3.
- All three oscillators are triangle waves. Set the volumes of OSC1 and OSC2 to 0, so that they only act as modulators on OSC3
- All three oscillators have "volume sensitivity" set to 127 (insensitive), so that Velocity will only affect the intensity of the RM/PM (greater velocity makes a scarier yeaye!)
- The key to the "yeaye" sound is twofold:
-- i) tweak the Amplitude Envelope of the PM modulation so that the attack is slow (36), the decay is slower (50) and the sustain value is about half. Basically the "yee" sound is the uprising PM, the "aye" sound is the decay of the PM to the sustain value.
-- ii) tweak the harmonics of the OSC2 (the PM modulator), In particular, 2,3,4,5, and slightly increase harmonics 28,29,30,31, and 60,61,62,63. Just a titch for taste.
You sir, clearly have eaten your Cheerios. Thank you very much for sharing that with us! I shall try those growls out when I get the chance. God bless and good day