Stereo Widening

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
So I make a new song, it should be one of the best song I have made, so I must care about my mix too.
And I have a few questions:
What Stereo Widening Tips/Tricks/Methods do you know?
How do I pan? I mean, I panned for example a appregio 20% to the right and a saw 15 % to the left. Is that panning?
Should I use Stereo Widening on all instruments at ones (FX Mixer) or on individual instruments?

I really want to make a wider stereo image than in my other songs. I want to IMPROVE!
just last week this was addressed by NoiseTacticz
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5374

The discussion there may be of interest.

I also made a stereo tut for pianos.. once
How do I pan?
yes, that would be a static pan, but often when the word 'panning' is used there is some kind of automation involved (dynamic pan)
Should I use Stereo Widening on all instruments at ones (FX Mixer) or on individual instruments?
That depends on what you want. Personally i would only use wide on something that i felt should have general presence ..like a pad or so, but some times it sounds interesting with a lead that seams to be everywhere, just never widen your percussion!
musikbear wrote:just last week this was addressed by NoiseTacticz

How do I pan?
yes, that would be a static pan, but often when the word 'panning' is used there is some kind of automation involved (dynamic pan)
That depends on what you want. Personally i would only use wide on something that i felt should have general presence ..like a pad or so, but some times it sounds interesting with a lead that seams to be everywhere, just never widen your percussion!
Yeah, I have seen that post from NoiseTacticZ. But when I use this, I hear no difference. What do you mean with dynamic pan? Should I automate panning on an instrument? Doesn't it sound weird?
ACYDE Music wrote: Yeah, I have seen that post from NoiseTacticZ. But when I use this, I hear no difference.
Then you are not following the tutorial correctly. it works fine, but so does the ladspa also.
Should I automate panning on an instrument? Doesn't it sound weird?
[/quote]

That is often used. Perhaps especially in chill or ambient, but you can use slow automated panning in all kind of music, but ofcause you should not overdo it :p
Ok, it seems to work, but sounds very weird :/
musikbear wrote:just last week this was addressed by NoiseTacticz

How do I pan?
May I ask whats wrong with widening percussion? are you just panning your other parts to fill up empty spots in the mix?
Jogden139 wrote: May I ask whats wrong with widening percussion? are you just panning your other parts to fill up empty spots in the mix?
Think in real life. the percussion is from one place on stage. Widening would mean that f.i. a snare came from a 'broad' space in the stereo-image. A RL snare would never be like that, and for that reason, real percussion should not have a wide stereo expression.
BUT
That does in no way mean that you cant use the sound of f.i. a snare with enormous wideness, but then its used as an effect, and thats a whole different ballgame
Oh i guess your right, anyways i thought the "stereoenhancer" effect was used to widen the stereo image for an instrument... up to 90 samples that is. over that and it seems to wrap around to the opposite side.
yes, and that 'wrap' would never happen from a real percussion. The 'wrap' makes the origin/pos of the source kind of 'fuzzy' and thats not wanted in percussion -In fact Some of the pro DAWs has a set-to-mono feature, especially meant for percussion.
musikbear wrote:yes, and that 'wrap' would never happen from a real percussion. The 'wrap' makes the origin/pos of the source kind of 'fuzzy' and thats not wanted in percussion -In fact Some of the pro DAWs has a set-to-mono feature, especially meant for percussion.
Oh really? I think just recently somebody posted about how to make things mono with the stereophonic matrix.. it was unsettled whether or not just panning 100% left would make the track mono? (it wouldn't, would it?)