Is this possible? (Filter question)

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
So say I have synth A and B. I want to play Synth A but I want to filter out all the frequencies from Synth A that don't Exist in Synth B. Synth B isn't played, just used to filter Synth A's frequencies.

Any idea how I could go about this or what this would be called if it's a thing?
Sorry, don't understand the question. Can you perhaps rephrase it ? What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Are there any synths that can't produce all available frequencies ? Or thinking of it another way, if you aren't playing synth B it isn't producing any frequencies at all is it ? Or do you mean you want to put the audio output from synth A into synth B to use synth B's filters ? Or something completely different ?

Steve
the only that comes close is synchronizing-modulation (sync)
we have that in zasfx, but it cant be access from UI.
In Synth1 the sync-mod is very good.
This tutorial
http://youtu.be/AEr9VrD674c
explain sync-mod in Synth1
slipstick wrote:Sorry, don't understand the question. Can you perhaps rephrase it ? What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Are there any synths that can't produce all available frequencies ? Or thinking of it another way, if you aren't playing synth B it isn't producing any frequencies at all is it ? Or do you mean you want to put the audio output from synth A into synth B to use synth B's filters ? Or something completely different ?

Steve
Like okay say I have vocals.wav. And I have another file synth.wav. P want to put vocals.wav threw a filter such that only the frequencies that exit in both vocals.wav and synth.wav will pass threw. synth.wav is never played, just used to filter the frequencies of vocals.wav.

Does that make any more sense?
Like okay say I have vocals.wav. And I have another file synth.wav. P want to put vocals.wav threw a filter such that only the frequencies that exit in both vocals.wav and synth.wav will pass threw. synth.wav is never played, just used to filter the frequencies of vocals.wav.

Yes. You're describing a Vocoder here.
zonkmachine wrote:

Yes. You're describing a Vocoder here.

Can a vocorder do this with 2 files filters against each other? I dont want the added distortion and reverb that vocorders do. I just want a pure filter that takes out the frequencies from the frist sound that arent present in the second sound and then returns the filterd first sound.
O.k. so you're talking about audio files, not synths. That makes a bit more sense.

It sounds almost as if you're trying to do some sort of weird "autotune" thing, controlling the notes in one track from another. You can do that with MIDI on track 2 but not, AFAIK, with audio.

Steve
I just want a pure filter that takes out the frequencies from the frist sound that arent present in the second sound and then returns the filterd first sound.
You aren't very precise in your description. The text I quoted first sounded like a vocoder, which is like two graphic equalizers that splits two soundwaves into multiple bands and then let the envelope of the modulating wave control the volume of the separate bands of the modulated sound. It has nothing to do with reverb but can easily cause distortion if you're not experienced with it. It's either a vocoder you're looking for or something that is like a vocoder that also inverts the control voltages I mentioned earlier. Or there's some new stuff around that I don't know about, of which there is plenty as I'm still stuck in my fathers Keyboard Magazine from 82. In my experience, musicians who look into more advanced sound control like this, turn to sound programming software like: Csound, Pure Data or SuperCollider. Happy Hacking! :geek:
Here's a description of a vocoder that has the option to invert the controller signal. This sounds like what you're looking for. I haven't actually played along with the vocoder that is shipped with lmms but it may or may not have something like this.
zonkmachine wrote:Here's a description of a vocoder that has the option to invert the controller signal. This sounds like what you're looking for. I haven't actually played along with the vocoder that is shipped with lmms but it may or may not have something like this.
Oooo that's pretty damn close, I think this will work, thanks man :)