Looking for a dub techno sound.

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
Hey, so I will preface this by saying "I am new" and we can interpret that to mean a wide variety of things in regards to music. I used to DJ when I was younger (Early to late 90's) and have a very fundamental understanding of tempo/rhythm. Probably a basic intuition about melody as well....but that's as far as it goes. I have never had any type of music theory lessons, or much experience with instrumentation. Having said that, Im older now and I devour new knowledge. I decided to take a stab at making electronic music, since it is much easier now a days than it was when I was young.

In my quest to find out and learn as much as I can handle, Ive come across this little sound and its frustratingly hard to recreate. All the tutorials I see online are with abletone, or FL and although the concepts are layed out (delay, chorus, reverb, EQ) I cannot seem to replicate it in LMMS. Im thinking its in Zyn (as most things are)... but maybe not. Maybe there is a another VST out there I should get, or effect? Just reaching out to anyone that might have some insight with this.

Here is a link to the sound im looking at. Its the first 1:30 of the track. I believe it starts with a saw, then gets worked on from there (SOOOO hard to identify the origin of sounds)

https://youtu.be/6SdN2Tti05k?list=RD6SdN2Tti05k

Thanks for any help, cheers
DuncanGW wrote:Hey, so I will preface this by saying "I am new" and we can interpret that to mean a wide variety of things in regards to music. I used to DJ when I was younger (Early to late 90's) and have a very fundamental understanding of tempo/rhythm. Probably a basic intuition about melody as well....but that's as far as it goes. I have never had any type of music theory lessons, or much experience with instrumentation. Having said that, Im older now and I devour new knowledge. I decided to take a stab at making electronic music, since it is much easier now a days than it was when I was young.

In my quest to find out and learn as much as I can handle, Ive come across this little sound and its frustratingly hard to recreate. All the tutorials I see online are with abletone, or FL and although the concepts are layed out (delay, chorus, reverb, EQ) I cannot seem to replicate it in LMMS. Im thinking its in Zyn (as most things are)... but maybe not. Maybe there is a another VST out there I should get, or effect? Just reaching out to anyone that might have some insight with this.

Here is a link to the sound im looking at. Its the first 1:30 of the track. I believe it starts with a saw, then gets worked on from there (SOOOO hard to identify the origin of sounds)

https://youtu.be/6SdN2Tti05k?list=RD6SdN2Tti05k

Thanks for any help, cheers
Welcome to LMMS! Are out talking about that kinda rough abrasive pluck sound? If so, if your willing to download a plugin, you can get that sound pretty easily with one called T-Force Alpha Plus. Basically use the trance pluck preset and turn the freq cutoff dial up. If you don't want to download it, then you have some other options.

Triple Oscillator:
Step one :put all three oscillators on saw wave
Step two: turn the bottom oscillator up 24 semitones. And 12 for the middle one. Or until they all sound like one sound.
Step three: detune the oscillators to your liking, not to much though or else it's gonna sound horrible
Step Four: go to the Lfo/envolope tab (or somthing named like that.) turn on the envelope by clicking on it.
Step five: turn the attack knob up just a tad, turn the sustain almost all the way down, turn the decay also almost all the way down, not as much as the sustain though, basically, make sure it looks kinda like a sawtooth, but very very very slightly leaned forward.

Step Six: test the sound, it should sound like a simple pluck, if it doesn't, try experimenting with the Envolope.

Step Seven: go down to the cutoff thing at the bottom, and turn a lowpass filter on, mess with the dial until you like the sound.

Step eight: this is extra, go to the FX tab, click add effect, and put in 2x2 plate reverb. And choose the reverb.

Did I help?
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote: Welcome to LMMS! Are out talking about that kinda rough abrasive pluck sound? If so, if your willing to download a plugin, you can get that sound pretty easily with one called T-Force Alpha Plus. Basically use the trance pluck preset and turn the freq cutoff dial up. If you don't want to download it, then you have some other options.

Triple Oscillator:
Step two: turn the bottom oscillator up 24 semitones. And 12 for the middle one. Or until they all sound like one sound.
Step three: detune the oscillators to your liking, not to much though or else it's gonna sound horrible
Step Four: go to the Lfo/envolope tab (or somthing named like that.) turn on the envelope by clicking on it.
Step five: turn the attack knob up just a tad, turn the sustain almost all the way down, turn the decay also almost all the way down, not as much as the sustain though, basically, make sure it looks kinda like a sawtooth, but very very very slightly leaned forward.

Step Six: test the sound, it should sound like a simple pluck, if it doesn't, try experimenting with the Envolope.

Step Seven: go down to the cutoff thing at the bottom, and turn a lowpass filter on, mess with the dial until you like the sound.

Step eight: this is extra, go to the FX tab, click add effect, and put in 2x2 plate reverb. And choose the reverb.

Did I help?
Not sure what "pluck" means but I think its the sound that comes in around 1:40 (after the break)? if so, nope, that's a very trancey sound, and one that I will be looking into later. Thanks for the plugin hook up on that! :)

Will try to do the steps you laid out on the Triple now and see how it sounds. brb :D
DJ FlyingPankakez wrote: Triple Oscillator:
Nice little saw sound
Now kind of sounds like an organ, a little. (reminds me of "light my fire" by the doors) you meant +12 and +24?
Took them all to -70....sounds like an alarm clock......
I think for this you just increase the amount knob to 1, being the most effect the envelope has.
All good, still has that alarmclocky sound, but is a bit crisper.
Might be my note size, using 1/4. it still has a bit of build up and tail to it, no matter how i messs around, but the note is essentially a quarter sound.

Did I help?
Its a very interesting sound. Just doesnt seem to be close to what im thinking of. I dont want to link to other sites tutorials, but its the only frame of reference I can find. This is a really good tutorial on the sound, but again..... just cant seem to reproduce it in lmms. It makes me think the original note im working with it the issue.

A bad cooking reference, but if the stock you use is crap, then every sauce you make from that stock will be crap with lipstick on it. lol.

If posting this link is against TOS here, I will take it down.

http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/music-pro ... rdsnstabs/
Ah ok, that sound you linked is a bit Harder to make, and seeing as though I'm not in a spot where I can try and make it, you will have to wait till someone else is able to help, I'm sorry.

Regarding the sound tut I made. From what you say, it has too much tail, and doesn't pluck. Try lowering the attack even more, and sustain, and decay.

Edit: I have an idea, once you fix the Envolope, try playing a deeper note. Might get close.

Also, pluck is like a mandolin, or banjo, or things like that, they have sudden attack, then they go away almost instantly.

I need to stop post tuts while I'm out of town XD

Be sure next time, to post this kinda topic in the production help.
Sounds like a power/saw with some heavy Low-Pass done to it. I might try to replicate it in the next livestream I do if you'd like that.
That would be great!!! Do you stream on twitch or YouTube? Name so I can sub?
DuncanGW wrote:That would be great!!! Do you stream on twitch or YouTube? Name so I can sub?
Theres a few threads in general chat, all of which have links to the YouTube channel which I use. I stream most saturdays, and always re-upload the livestreams later on.
DuncanGW wrote:Hey, so I will preface this by saying "I am new"

Am i right when i assume that the sound you refer to is playing on the appleton page here?

Code: Select all

Above technique could be used to create for example stuff like this:
Audio Player00:15.......00:34

Code: Select all

Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.
but it’s also a solid foundation ....
That is a pluck. A short stabby low-pass-fiteret hard attack sound, with some FM modulation, and cross-over echo.

The tutorial explain how to build this detailed, but here is the crevate : You will -never- be able to precisely duplicate any sound 100% precise. n e v e r1 Trust me :p
You can build something that comes close, but the very fact that this is played on an appleton daw, and hence uses an appleton sound backend, that a l o n e ensure that you will not be able to replicate that sound on lmms, or for that matter any other daw. Ever reproducing it on appleton, would be next to impossible. so do not expect a 'copy', expect closeness instead.
I case you missed out on the used VST used it is: TAL U-NO 62 VSTi

Besides that since you are new in our forum;
Welcome to the forum DuncanGW! Here are all our important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)

btw -dont worry about 'taking the link down' Unless you paid money in order to read that article, it is fully ok to link to it
Ahhh, so you got alot of good help from everyone already.
And you even got an indepth tutorial, from DJ FlyingPankakez.

To add to what the other guys told you:
It is possible, that the Synth's FM dial (frequency modulation dial), was turned up a bit, to make that sound.
Because I hear, some FM sounding distortion in it.

And it might be possible, that some LFO manipulation on the Synth, was done too. :)