Choosing a Synth

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
I'm currently learning the synth basics.
Gave it a try with TripleOsc, which is nice. But I think advancing to another one like Synth1 or ZynAddSubFX will give me more possibilities ?
Or can you do any possible sound with TripleOsc aswel?

Zyn looks a bit outdated and archaic:

Although the latest one seems to look more user friendly, but it's not the free version:

And as for Synth1, you always have to insert it with Vestige. Not that it's a big workaround, but ... does it have much advantage in comparison to Zyn?

Which one do you prefer? (no, there is no poll)
Zyn is more deeper and more complicated synth. For learning synthesis nothing can beat Synth1, plus you get amazing sound and many thousands of presets.

P.S. Synth1 is very capable too.
Heris 456 gave nice info. :D

Zynaddsubfx might look outdated, but it's a monster of a synth. :D
So fantastically complex and so many super duper sound possibilities, to a point it's astronomical. :D
It's a plugin, for people who want to make or recreate, epic special sounds and effects, or sounds
that literally haven't been heard yet.

Synth 1 is one of those vst's, that is in a category of it's own. :D
It might look a bit ordinary, but it's super advanced and can make all sorts or cool sounds and pad sounds etc.

Triple Oscillator, just like any other Lmms plugin, is not to be underestimated.
With the right tweaking, that thing makes some really good sounds, especially bass sounds. :)

So to add: Each Synth vst and Lmms plugin, has it's own potential.
Some sounds, might be easier to recreate, in one synth and not in the other.
That also sometimes, comes down to the user and his or her, Vst or plugin preferences as well.
The problem with these advanced synths is that the learning curve is a bit more time consuming.
And we all live in a world without oceans of free time.

Just downloaded a few tons of presets for both Synth1 and ZynAddSubFX.
Will try to test each preset next week hopefully... it's aswel time consuming though :) But I heard a few good ones already. I'm not planning to tweak around for days.
I have a 'rule' for synths:
"Its way better to have few synths and know them in depth, that to have many and no insight in any."
I second brandystarbrite. ZynAddSubFX rules the universe!

Once to prove to my friend that it can make any sound imaginable, I made an instrument that's an electric bassoon plugged with a football filled with fireworks. It sounded amazingly terrible, but realistic! :lol: It may look a bit difficult to use, but it is the #1 best music plugin me or anybody else has seen in their lives.
ZynAddSubFX sounds great, tested few nice presets yesterday, but it sometimes freezes LMMS. And maybe too complex for a simple guy like me.

Synth1 is awesome and seems to be controllable and user friendly for humans like me.
Will change the colors asap to get a desired design.
As for the presets, I can't load more than 10 banks, and they all need to be named 'soundbank0x', while in this manual I found (page 73), it would be possible to add more, and different names... but how... The manual contains +80 pages but the explanation seems a little poor.
http://www.multimed.org/student/eim/doc/Synth1.pdf

Wondering if the Midi Learn function is possible on regular midi keyboards aswel, or only for this Nord Lead 2 ?

I also checked out SoundFonts with the SF2 player. Seems cool too. I can emulate the TB303 sounds already.

LMMS is great ^^
bulevardi wrote:As for the presets, I can't load more than 10 banks, and they all need to be named 'soundbank0x', while in this manual I found (page 73), it would be possible to add more, and different names... but how...
I unzipped the files, probably the reason why it didnt work.
http://veryrandomstreams.blogspot.be/20 ... -free.html

It works when I keep in in the zip file.

Even better, all works via one usb key, both LMMS, Presets, Synth1, ... on one usb key. I can take it portable with me, everywhere. For free.
^^ how awesome is that ^^
bulevardi wrote: I unzipped the files, probably the reason why it didnt work.
http://veryrandomstreams.blogspot.be/20 ... -free.html
It works when I keep in in the zip file.
Synth1 is a bit peculiar in respect to banks. Thats why i made this tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7wnFKijVRk
A REALLY good tip for making a good synth is to do the following:

1. Mess around with TripleOscillator until you think you got a decent sound.
2. Clone it twice, and mess around with the phase and stereo shift for the two clones.
3. Make all of those play the same notes at the same time, as if they were the same instrument.

This makes it sound absolutely amazing! Give it a try.