Mood help and gritty sounds

Questions about producing? Ask them here.
(before i start:
sorry if i'm making too many posts too quickly, but i need help yet again :/)

Hi!

So, if anyone read my last post, i've been working on a game, and am getting pretty close to finishing the soundtrack..

Except, now i'm stuck on making the final boss theme...
I've always struggled with stuff like this, i can just never seem to get the right mood, i've remade it countless times and even tried to make it with mainly minor notes, but this hasn't worked at all, it still came out upbeat. like all of my tests have.

This is starting to get a bit irritating now, since i'm so close to finishing it, but can't make this boss theme.
Does anyone have any advice they could give me?
especially on the gritty sounds, i can't seem to get some that sound nice either.
noba wrote:(before i start:

Hi!

So, if anyone read my last post, i've been working on a game, and am getting pretty close to finishing the soundtrack..

I've always struggled with stuff like this, i can just never seem to get the right mood, i've remade it countless times and even tried to make it with mainly minor notes, but this hasn't worked at all, it still came out upbeat. like all of my tests have.

This is starting to get a bit irritating now, since i'm so close to finishing it, but can't make this boss theme.
especially on the gritty sounds, i can't seem to get some that sound nice either.
You are free to use my Golden Puppets VIP if you'd like. It's not up right now, but I wrote the VIP to be styled after Pokémon Boss Fights.
davisjacobym wrote:

Hi!

You are free to use my Golden Puppets VIP if you'd like. It's not up right now, but I wrote the VIP to be styled after Pokémon Boss Fights.
Here's a link to the current version.
https://soundcloud.com/davisjacobym/gol ... ed-version
Dont worry, you are welcome to ask for advice as often as you like

And now you have been offered a fish. Nice one too, but it wont teach you how to 'catch' your own :p
Except, if you like the track, listen to it !
What is it in -that- track, that makes it a 'Boss-theme'
The try to compose with those elements, and eventually you will get closer, and then one day, you may offer someone else a fish of your own :p
davisjacobym wrote:
davisjacobym wrote:

Hi!

it's alright, but thanks for the offer! :)
musikbear wrote:
Dont worry, you are welcome to ask for advice as often as you like

And now you have been offered a fish. Nice one too, but it wont teach you how to 'catch' your own :p
Except, if you like the track, listen to it !
What is it in -that- track, that makes it a 'Boss-theme'
The try to compose with those elements, and eventually you will get closer, and then one day, you may offer someone else a fish of your own :p
hmm, okay. thanks for all your help over these past few posts! :)

do you have any tracks i could look at? i'll look myself, but it'd be nice to have a few starting points.

also, any tips on these gritty sounds? i'd imagine synth1 would be great at this, but d'you know anything on, well, the basics of making a gritty sound, what effects ect, if yknow what i mean.
davisjacobym wrote:
davisjacobym wrote:

Hi!

i just listened to your song and it sounds great..

may i use it for a bit of inspiration? ;)
noba wrote: i just listened to your song and it sounds great..

may i use it for a bit of inspiration? ;)
Yeah, no problem. I can also dig around and look for my piano concept sessions for the VIP in case you'd want them. They were waaaay darker sounding than what you hear in the VIP version due to some different chording.
noba wrote:also, any tips on these gritty sounds? i'd imagine synth1 would be great at this, but d'you know anything on, well, the basics of making a gritty sound, what effects ect, if yknow what i mean.
Hello. :D
A gritty sound?
What kind of gritty sound, are you looking for/trying to make? :)
brandystarbrite wrote:
noba wrote:also, any tips on these gritty sounds? i'd imagine synth1 would be great at this, but d'you know anything on, well, the basics of making a gritty sound, what effects ect, if yknow what i mean.
Hello. :D
A gritty sound?
What kind of gritty sound, are you looking for/trying to make? :)
well...
ever heard boomkttys music? he has some great examples: http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/686782
skip to around 1:10-1:20, that's kinda similar, although it doesn't have to be exact, thanks :)