Sidechain Compresson in 1.1

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Just downloaded the Beta and tried the new FX-Mixer... sidechaining has just become much more natural then ever, so I thought I'd share the basic idea how to create a pumping Kick-/Bassline in just a few steps:

* Create a kick & a bassline which overlaps with the kick
* Create 3 FX channels
* assign kick & bass to one FX channel, each
* for those 2 channels, remove the "SEND" field to the master channel and set it to the third channel (our sidechain-channel)
* Add the Effect "Calf Sidechain Compressor" to the third channel... default values will be working already (for some more notability, increase the ratio)

This allows some "real" sidechain compression, much more flexible and easier to setup than the duplicate-stereo-matrix-hack, and sounds imho way better than the peak-controller-approach. :)

It also works well with 3 or more input-channels.
Nice tut! v-That will help many- Plans for more 'real' s.c. is however in the molt, but there are no sceduled dates. 1.2 could be exiting, in that department, but lets see :)
For some reason, this doesn't seem to work for me. Can you explain how the plugin works so that I can make it work?

This plugin doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as there's no way to choose the sidechain input.
are you sure you have assigned the right mixer-channels?
This works, if you have
Here is a simple file with this sidechaining
compare it with your own

Attachments

This is very nice. Sidechain compression was always a pain in the butt for me. Now can I use this same method to do sidechain gating? I switched the effect to calf sidechain gater using the same setup as your example track but it definitely didn't work the way I wanted it to. My goal was a typical trance/edm gated lead thing.
gating patterns can perhaps be more accecable through LFO -but that then gives new problems regarding vst based instruments.
For 3oc a user wave pattern in LFO can give nice gating, and you can control the percentage perfectly with the AMP

Another way could be 'by note', but here the lack of sample-exactness, whitch importance has been pinpointed by diiz, has unwanted influence, and is quite cumbersome to set up too..

I btw also made a video with sidechain, where i use the ENV to manipulate the expressions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzWiufjkko
inverting the ENV can make new interesting output, but inferior to gating i fear :|
Yeah I am already using an LFO controller for my gating; I was just hoping that I could vary the pattern without using more controllers (right now it's set to a trance gate wave pattern, but I can't change the rhythm within the one controller).
Does anyone know where to find comprehensive documentation about the Calf Sidechain compression? I can't really get it to work in a pleasing way, i.e., I can't really tell what's ducking what. It just seems to compress everything (based on whatever the heck "Sidechain mode" settings do). A little web-searching and the best I can do is find come comments on https://github.com/falkTX/calf/blob/mas ... essor.html FalkTX's github page starting @ line 37.
I suspect that it will compress both signals (in the channel) based on whether either of them surpass F1 and F2, respectively. I could be way off though...
How to compress with the calf sidechain compressor:
1. Make an input signal (this can be an enveloped 3xosc white noise or your kick or whatever)
2. Add a peak controller to that input and set its base at all the wayto left, and the amount at all the way to right (optionally turn the 'Mute effect' button on - this depends on your input signal)
3. Add a Calf Sidechain compressor to your desired instrument/FX channel
4. Connect the peak controller to the 'S/C amount' knob
5. Tweak the ratio all to the right and play around with the treshold
6. Find the right amount of ratio and treshold to suit your needs. I usually have my ratio all the way up.
7. Enjoy your sidechain ;)
Thanks Umcaruje! Your method simply the best!