Getting Started - no experience with LMMS or MIDI keyboards

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
So, like me, you just got your MIDI keyboard controller, installed LMMS and the latest drivers for your keyboard. HOW do you get a sound to come out of the speakers attached to your computer? :>

BTW, I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49. There are very few instructions on how to get started but there are very few steps to setting up the driver installation. In other words, not much assistance but not very hard to do. I suppose that is because they leave the choice of DAW software up to the user.

One thing I noticed when playing around with the software is that when you make changes to the first window that comes up (I think it is called the "Setup LMMS" window - you can also get it by clicking on the pull-down menu <Edit - Settings>), the program says that the changes will only have an effect when the program is restarted.

Steps you can follow to get a sound:

1) Open a new project.
2) Make sure your MIDI keyboard is plugged into the computer and turned on.
2) Click on the pull-down menu "Edit," then "Settings."
3) Click the icon on the left side of the window that looks like a small musical keyboard. You should get the description "MIDI Settings" beside the "General Settings" icon (the one with the wrench and screwdriver at the top left).
4) Under the "MIDI INTERFACE " heading click on the pull-down option and click the "WinMM MIDI" option or whatever option comes up with your version of the software that is not "Dummy - no MIDI support" option.
5) Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window. You should get a "Restart LMMS" window stating that "Please note that most changes won't take effect until you restart LMMS!"
6) It is important that at this point you save your project. You can call it something new or probably use the standard "Untitled" name. Giving it a new name will keep the default file in its original state.

If you do not save the file, when you restart LMMS, it will revert to the original default settings and you will not get the needed options in the program to produce a sound by using the keyboard. From what I have seen in the LMMS Wiki tutorials, they do not tell you this.

7) In the "Song-Editor" window, click on the first track called "Default preset."
8) You should get a new window on the right called "Default preset." That's odd - kidding. In larger, grey and blue letters you should see "triple oscillator." Above those words are the options "PLUGIN ENV/LFO FUNC FX MIDI." Click on the MIDI option.
9) Click on the radio button under "ENABLE MIDI INPUT."
10) There should be a really small keyboard icon to the right of that. Click on it and select from the option(s). I get "Oxygen 49 MIDI In."
11) You should now be able to press the keys and get a sound. On the higher keys it should sound a somewhat like an organ. AWESOME!!

These steps are similar to the ones on this page: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/wiki/index. ... Using_MIDI

The important difference is that you need to save your project so that when it is opened again, the MIDI settings are available for selection. That is my experience with it.
Today I came across a good tutorial section on the LMMS site: http://lmms.sourceforge.net/lsp/index.p ... %20started

This can be found by going to the LMMS website (http://lmms.sourceforge.net/home.php) and clicking on the tab named "Share your songs!" then going to the "Tutorials" section on the left side of the page. Between following this and a few other tutorials, you should be working on making your own music very soon.
I just noticed a problem with the steps provided above. If do not have your midi keyboard plugged in and turned on before lmms is turned on, the program does not detect it.

So, step 2) should come before step 1).
Thank you very much! I have been playing around with LMMS for about a week, I decided I was tired of making little notes with the Piano Roll, and bought a Casio CTK2080 from Target yesterday. I intended to use it on my new HP computer with an Intel i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and 1TB HDD. No success. So I tried my older Dell laptop with lesser credentials and Windows 7. Still nothing. Just followed this advice and I have MIDI sound through my laptop and LMMS! As soon as I figure out how to get my headphones to work again (lost them in the process, somehow) I hope to try making some music.
I was looking for a general overview / description of what this LMMS (Last Method Might Screw me?) actually was built for?
For me LMMS is a can, if I open it there might be worms.
Why not decribe it: It is a liquid cleaner for household. It is a liffting device (jack) for a car up to 2 tons. It is an assistance for writing letters on the computer. It is a tool for creating midi songs and styles and .... It is especially well applied for for .... . I differs from sequencers in these aspects: .... . And so on.
Please remove the guesswork on page 1. Thanks.
Ironically. I've spent 2 days looking through how to get LMMS to detect a MIDI keyboard; all messages have been "It is just there. Click preferences, yo." ... this is the ONLY instructional walkthrough that actually nails how to get the midi controller detected. A post from years ago. heh.. thanks for taking the time to walk through this.
halcyonskaia wrote:Ironically. I've spent 2 days looking through how to get LMMS to detect a MIDI keyboard
It was here:
https://lmms.io/wiki/index.php?title=Using_MIDI
Besides that i can see that you are new in our forum, so-
Hi, Welcome to the forum halcyonskaia ! Here are all our important links:
http://lmms.io/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4740
And a few rules for Avatars, signatures, posting and using the right sub-forum :)
I went through this exercise to connect my Yamaha DGX520 keyboard to my laptop/LMMS.
However, I am not getting a list when I complete the task #10.
After enabling MIDI when I click on the little keyboard icon, nothing happens.
Can someone please help? I am new to LMMS and music software in general. Thanks
Here is the screenshot

Attachments

mookav wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm
I went through this exercise to connect my Yamaha DGX520 keyboard to my laptop/LMMS.
However, I am not getting a list when I complete the task #10.
After enabling MIDI when I click on the little keyboard icon, nothing happens.
Can someone please help? I am new to LMMS and music software in general. Thanks
Here is the screenshot
Please make sure that your Keyboard is on and connected to your PC before opening LMMS.
Cheers