Easy Master Volume Tutorial

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Simple: Keep your hands off the master volume fader. Let it stay at 100%, there are other ways to make your sounds better/fuller/louder. If your audience finds your track too quiet, they can can turn up the volume on their end. You shouldn't do that for them.

One way to boost the volume properly without screwing up your entire project is to:

- assign the sound(s) that you want to boost to an FX channel
- apply amp/boost effects
- turn that channel's volume up
- apply a limiter if needed

Remember: red is bad.
Yes, but Master is best kept at an even lover volume still
Something like 75..80% is used by many
This gives you what 'producers' like to call 'Headroom'
Eg you can crank some stuff higher, without clipping master, and in case your track ends up at a record-studio master (ya right..) they have 'room' for special stuff
Thank you guys.
Yo caLRo,

Hey bro, I though we was keepin our mix at 80,
What's it gonna be? =U
musikbear wrote:Yes, but Master is best kept at an even lover volume still
Eg you can crank some stuff higher, without clipping master, and in case your track ends up at a record-studio master (ya right..) they have 'room' for special stuff
Creating headroom is a good reason to touch the master volume fader, but I would consider that an advanced tutorial. It's not like the average LMMS user is going to send their tracks to a professional mastering engineer. The main point of this tut is to get rid of the beginner's mistake of instantly reaching for the master volume fader simply because something isn't loud enough.
Thanks for that tutorial Calro.
Very useful info.
Yes, but Master is best kept at an even lover volume still
Aah! I had a feeling, that that is what some music producers did.
Thanks for that info musikbear.
In my opinion you should NEVER touch the master volume fader. If the track is too loud, that means you probably have over-compressed or is clashing with something else making a frequency build-up. the master is used by many to make the track louder, if the track is already too loud, that means you're mixing something wrong. so end note, turn things down in the rest of the mixer (I find this is an easier way to create headroom) just don't mess with the master volume.