Presto Sidechaning

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Hi everyone, in this post I'll explain how I made the sidechain effect in Presto. There's also a standalone project file using just stock LMMS samples on the LSP.

First, you'll need two mixer channels like so:

Then, you'll need to add a BitInvader track. Draw the waveform as a constant high signal:

This won't sound good at all, but that's not the point of this track. The point is to provide a constant signal that will be modulated by the instrument's envelope...

... and routed to Channel 2, where you add a Peak Controller. The settings of this controller may vary for your preferred style of sidechaining. I'd recommend leaving PC Attack and PC Decay at 0 and using the BitInvader track to control envelope. Finally, enable Mute Effect so that you don't actually mix that control signal into audio. Play with the Amount knob to get the right sound for your track.

Then attach this controller to the volume slider of Channel 1. Route all of the instruments you want to duck to this track. Then, on the BitInvader track, lay down 1/16th notes at the start of each kick.

This is not a true sidechain, but it does the job :)
Very good tutorial. :)
Nice tut. I'll try to do this in a project. Thank You.