Video tutorial: Advanced Sidechaining in LMMS

Write guides and how-tos about LMMS for other members.
Hi guys! I put up a quick video on how I do my sidechaining using the calf sidechain compressor. Anyways, this is my first ever tutorial video so please let me know on how I can improve my videos, as I will be doing more of them.

Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0OH4I0-LE

Oh and the video uses the development version of LMMS, so you can some of the new stuff we've been working on ;)
Great tutorial. What does that peak controller do though ?
Gps wrote:Great tutorial. What does that peak controller do though ?
It acts as the sidechain signal. Its connected to the sidechain level of the compressor. Without it there would be no sidechain.
really cool tut!
A question to the LMMS version:
Are there many bugs or can I work with it quite well?
umcaruje wrote:
Gps wrote:Great tutorial. What does that peak controller do though ?
It acts as the sidechain signal. Its connected to the sidechain level of the compressor. Without it there would be no sidechain.
Thank you, this might be why I failed more then once when trying to sidechain. :)
umcaruje wrote:Hi guys! I put up a quick video on how I do my sidechaining using the calf sidechain compressor. Anyways, this is my first ever tutorial video so please let me know on how I can improve my videos, as I will be doing more of them.

Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0OH4I0-LE
Nice tut. :D
using a noise-profile as sc signal, thats new to me. Clever! I wonder if the moving dial is a problem. Some dials can make noise when turned, and it is different on various hw. (I believe diiz explained this as a problem with discreet values)

You btw mentioned that several other sidechain methods results in a movement of the slider in mixer, and that is not the purpose of mixer. That is true! -but it is easy to 'solve'
What you do is to
* remove the send to Master
* take an other mixer-channel, name it something like signal-pass, route that to Master
* route ducking instrument to signal-pass

Now the slider for instrument will indeed move, but you have full volume control over the instrument through signal-pass' slider. So even though the slider of the instrument is 'occupied' the purpose of the mixer is preserved.
musikbear wrote:using a noise-profile as sc signal, thats new to me. Clever! I wonder if the moving dial is a problem. Some dials can make noise when turned, and it is different on various hw. (I believe diiz explained this as a problem with discreet values)
Yes, the zipper noise from the controls not being sample-exact. I find it to be minimal with this plugin, though 1.2 supports sample exactness for the native plugins, so you could just replace the sidechain compressor with an amplifier. This however, won't give you the level of control the sidechain compressor has.
musikbear wrote:You btw mentioned that several other sidechain methods results in a movement of the slider in mixer, and that is not the purpose of mixer. That is true! -but it is easy to 'solve'
What you do is to
* remove the send to Master
* take an other mixer-channel, name it something like signal-pass, route that to Master
* route ducking instrument to signal-pass

Now the slider for instrument will indeed move, but you have full volume control over the instrument through signal-pass' slider. So even though the slider of the instrument is 'occupied' the purpose of the mixer is preserved.
True, though you still can't control the sidechain ratio, threshold attack/release for each instrument/mixer stip, which in my opinion is something pretty bad, as such control can lead to much cleaner mixes, for example if you need to sidechain your bass with a longer release, with the fader method you'd need to create another peak controller with a longer release. With my method, you simply turn the release knob up ;)
umcaruje wrote: Hi guys! I put up a quick video on how I do my sidechaining using the calf sidechain compressor.
Nice tut, sir, but I do have a question: Why not just skip the control signal, peak controller and such... and automate the S/C knob in the sidechain compressor? Sounds a lot easier to me.
God Bless and good day
great tut, im going to implement this today in a project, thank you mr serbia! ;)